GUN concealed lic. in TX ?'s

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hades69, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Hades69

Hades69 Guest

i know it's legal to carry with a licence. but hve no idea on how to go about getting it or even what type of handgun to buy. i know i don't want anything to big, but don't want a pee shooter either. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. nordaim

nordaim Guest

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Hey man I was looking into this, one place that is close to be is bullettrapinc.com, its in plano
    the class to get your CWL is a 7 hour class, and it costs about $100 to get
    I searched on Yahoo for like texas concealed weapons license and found several places for around $100 to get it.
    There is a shooting qualification test too

4. Hades69

Hades69 Guest

what does the qualifaction test include? range time, accuracy background check? etc. sorry i'm a noob to this stuff

5. Y2kAccord

I found it on yahoo it involves class instruction, a writen test, and a accuracy test... you have so many seconds to fire off x amount of rounds and hit a target...

I am a noob too, I am not getting my first gun till saturday

I am getting a ruger P-89T 9mm, its a great first gun and a great gun, I have been at rugerfourms and got lots of info on my gun
    if you can come up with what gun you want I would find a form for it and learn about it.

6. Y2kAccord

http://www.ccgunrange.com/chl_class.html

http://www.ccgunrange.com/chl_class.html#CHL_REQ

-------------------------------------
    Requirements to Receive a Texas CHL
    A Texas Concealed Handgun License may be issued to any person who:

Is a legal resident of this state for at least 6 months.
    Is at least 21 years of age.
    Has not been convicted of a felony, including a deferred adjudication.
    Is not currently charged with a class A or B misdemeanor or an offense of Disorderly Conduct, or under information or indictment for a felony.
    Is not a fugitive from justice for a class A or B misdemeanor or felony. (Can’t be WANTED).
    Is not a chemically-dependent person. (Currently abusing alcohol or drugs)
    Is not a person of unsound mind.
    Has not, in the 5 years preceding the date of application been convicted of a class A or B misdemeanor of Disorderly conduct in the past 5 years. Note: Date of conviction is when the sentence is handed down by the judge, not the date of arrest.
    Is fully-qualified under applicable federal and state law to purchase a handgun.
    Has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general.
    Has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state.
    Has not been finally determined to be in default on a student loan made under chapter 57 of the education code.
    Is not currently restricted under a court protective order or subject to a restraining order affecting the spousal relationship, other than a restraining order solely affecting property interests.
    Has not, in the 10 years preceding the date of application, been adjudicated as having engaged in delinquent conduct violating a penal law of the grade of felony.
    Has not made any material misrepresentation, or failed to disclose any material fact, in application or request for an application.
    Has not been convicted of two drug or alcohol class A or B misdemeanors in the 10 years preceding the date of application.
    Please e-mail additional questions to CCGR.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Range Qualification for Texas CHL
    A total of 50 rounds are fired during the course of the qualification test.
    A score of 70%, or 175 points of a possible 250, is required to pass.
    The target used is a TX-PT which is a human-shaped silhouette target measuring 45 by 24 inches.
    All shooting is from the ready position, which means the gun is already in your hands and aimed in.
    No holster shooting or shooting from concealed is required.

Course of Fire:
    3 yard line - 20 shots:

1 shot in 2 seconds, 5 times
    2 shots in 3 seconds, 5 times
    5 shots in 10 seconds, once

7 yard line - 20 shots:

5 shots in 10 seconds, once
    1 shot in 3 seconds, 5 times
    2 shots in 4 seconds, once
    3 shots in 6 seconds, once
    5 shots in 15 seconds, once

15 yard line - 10 shots:

2 shots in 6 seconds, once
    3 shots in 9 seconds, once
    5 shots in 15 seconds, once

The TX-PT target is 45" high by 24" wide. The inner scoring ring is approximately 12" in diameter and counts 5 points. Shots within the the next scoring ring count 4 points, and hits in the outer target zone count 3 points. Shots falling outside of the sihouette outline do not count.

7. Hades69

Hades69 Guest

i'm looking for a 9mm what brand i'm not sure. i;m not a big guy, 5'7" 115 lbs. and small hands so i'll need a gun that i can hold and fire safely. i just looked at bennili (sp) medium sized 9mm's and like the sizing even the campacts look ok ~6" long. it won't be any time soon for me to be getting it. but i'm doing my research now.

8. Y2kAccord

check around a few places like bullettrapinc.com and some other shooting ranges I found while searching for the other information has gun rentals (try before you buy)
    I rented the P-89 I bought and put some rounds through it and liked it.
    Dont buy a gun becuase of the OT bandwagon or because of a name and turn out it donest fit your hand etc
    you are in garland.. if you were even wanting to come up to around here (I am in The Colony) I could take ya shooting or something?
    I like 9mm's the ammo is cheap, go to walmart they have 100rds for 10.89 or something like that

9. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I'll post a detailed account of what's involved tomorrow, too tired and too pissed at the girlfriend to type :(

10. Scoob_13

Okay, first off the actual cost to get the license is whatever the school costs PLUS ~$170 or so for the state to do the background checks, etc.

Second, to qualify you have to do the list above, however it's a recommended list that most ranges change up to suit their range rules. Bullet trap does it in 5 round tests, which is very nice for those of us with low-cap mags and revolvers.

Third, the "written" test is actually multiple choice :p And it's easy if you pay attention during the day, have any commonsense whatsoever, and remember the phrase "shooting to stop a threat, not to kill" because remember: death is a byproduct of stopping the threat :(

Fourth, and the biggest thing of all: you don't need to own a gun to qualify, as you can always rent one. You DO want to make sure that you are comfortable with the firearm that you rent/own and know how to clear jams, load, unload, cock/decock if DAO, etc.

Know your firearm, maintain your firearm, and remember that the most important thing in a situation where you have to pull your weapon is your ability to talk the situation down to a level where you do not need to pull your firearm. Only pull the firearm if you have no other choice and you feel that loss of life/property is imminent (and I state property because TX is a state where you can protect property) and that you must stop the threat.

Other than that, Bullet Trap is an awesome range, and I prefer it to a lot of the others around town. Their staff is great at their jobs and you couldn't find a better bunch of guys to hang out with from 8am to 6pm :p

If you have any specifics, let me know.

11. Y2kAccord

Bullettrap says that its $100 on their webpage, what other costs are involved?

12. Scoob_13

~$170 to the State of Texas for the background checking, document processing, etc.

13. Y2kAccord

so is it $270 in total?

bulletrap says that there class takes care of the processing?

14. Scoob_13

It takes care of handing you the paperwork and doing numerous other things. There's still the money that the state has to get out of you :p

15. Y2kAccord

Figures.. thanks for the info :bigthumb: