GUN Concealed Carry vs Open Carry

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thegooch, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

I choose to CC, to avoid situations such as this. Discuss.

"Security guard today just tried to physically dis-arm me. Grabbed my right arm with his left hand and attempted to grab my pistol grip with his right. Elbow to the face and a back step rear kick/shin scrape to his right knee/shin...turned and hit him with a full body roundhouse punch. Knocked his a$$ out cold. Because the cops were called I can't give full details until everything is settled but it was at a big box store.

I knew he was there but he never said a word just walked right up and tried it."

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40381

2. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

Don't have a choice here in Texas.

"Keep it secret, keep it safe." - Gandalf, the Grey

3. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

What a dumbass security guard.

4. P-chan

P-chan New Member

WOW. What kind of retard security guard would try to covertly disarm someone who is walking around a store shopping?

5. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

He's lucky he didn't get shot for his trouble. Someone goes for my sidearm and I'm going to have to assume they intend to use it against me. With the obvious exception of an LEO running me through the routine.

6. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

I would not have hesitated to put a round in someone who covertly trys to take a firearm off my person.

That said, I will conceal carry for that very reason. I dont want to ever have to shoot anyone.

7. GlassUser

Werd. Shooting someone is second to last on the list of things I want to do in life. Last, of course, is being shot. How 'bout we just avoid both?

8. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I can't believe that story is true.

9. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I do. Apparently there's a video, but the OCer isn't going to show it because he's looking into a civil suit. :o

10. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

fucking rent a cops lol.

glad the guy laid him out, fucking barney fife was lucky he didn't get shot. who the fuck grabs for a mans gun, lucky fuck still has warm blood pumping through his veins

11. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

No blading
    No yelling YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY FIREARM!!!!!!!! DISENGAGE!!!!!!!!1111111

:bsflag:

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Would have swore I read that story virtually verbatim a year or two ago about a guy at best buy.

Anyway more than anything it seems like one of those things that is a problem with firearms ownership and carrying becoming less and less common. "Back in the day" people were more likely to have some basic firearms safety training. They would have been less likely to fill their pants when seeing someone carrying a gun in public. It would have been more common knowledge to to not grab a man's gun. The distance gun ownership/carrying has from society is only going to lead to a greater push to hide/restrict it.

13. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

this isn't an oc problem, this is a stupid people problem. in the OC/CC debate I usually end up choosing CC since I don't suffer fools well and I find it best to limit my non-essential interaction with them

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Wow, I would have expected the guard to press charges, him to be sued, etc etc. Glad it worked out for him.

I don't really have a choice, but if I did, I think I'd still choose to CC. I know it makes people "on edge" to look over and see a gun on your belt. I don't want people approaching me asking me gun questions, or trying to start debates, etc. I like it better knowing it's there, and everyone else assuming it's not.

15. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Because you can't imagine somebody being stupid enough to just walk up and try to take somebody's gun without even saying anything?

Or because you don't think the guy beat the guard's ass like he says?

16. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

My sister once tried to grab a knife from my hand, ended up cutting her hand really good.

I can definitely imagine someone trying to grab at a gun in plain sight, especially if they have an authority complex like a rent-a-cop might. Not saying he did, but he obviously lacked some common sense and communication skills.

17. P-chan

P-chan New Member

The guard to press charges for what? Getting his ass kicked in self defense during the commission of a crime? The guard assaulted the customer. The guard is LUCKY that the OCer had some hand to hand training, a lot of OCers would have shoved the guard back to create some space, and drawn their firearm....

18. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Concealed carry makes the most "tactical" sense for a civilian.

OC is basically a show of force and should be reserved for cops. While I don't agree with OCing myself, I do appreciate people who exercise these freedoms and keep them around though.

Only problem is that it seems to me that the OC movement has a disproportionately higher share of braggarts and idiots

19. I've noticed this too.

20. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Exactly what I would think. But burglars who are attacked while breaking in homes sue people, and win, from what I hear. I would not put it past some people to try and sue you when they were at fault.

21. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

I still OC sometimes because it's more comfortable. Don't always feel like sticking a gun in my waist band.

22. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Open carry necessarily draws more attention to the person doing it. It makes sense that people who like that kind of attention would be more likely to do it.

And while I agree that carrying concealed is the better tactical choice, open carry is a powerful political and psychological one.

23. oakback

oakback New Member

If it were legal in FL, I'd OC while fishing. Something about being out of sight from land and having some fucking idiots pull up right next to you and trash talking starts up, gets me nervous (and CC'ing is uncomfortable while fishing for me).

Can't you CC with an OWB holster?

24. GlassUser

I do all the time.

25. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

main reason i open carry is because i have the right to. also it is way more comfortable.

there is actually a group up here in NH that open carry to keep the right alive [as well as some other things] some of their videos have been posted here before. tho apparently the police dont like them :mamoru:

last time i was confronted by an officer about my OC the second thing he ask was "are you affiliated with that group in machester?"

nh liberty movement is the group in case you were wondering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.