GUN Concealed Carry TX/FL Crew questions..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by crucial_fiction, Nov 25, 2006.

1. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

Hey all,

New to this particular forum. Will be looking to get my CHL when I'm back home in Dallas. Thing is, I'm military and will be moving to FL. I have read such sites as packing.org and a couple of others (along with state sites).

I understand that TX and FL have the agreement between states where a TX license will be honored in the state of FL and vice versa. What I can't seem to find is, if I'm military, my permanent home of record is TX, how long will the TX license be good for? The laws as I'm understanding them doesn't seem to cover this situation.

Reason I'm asking, I want to be able to go home from Japan, get my license so I'm covered for the trip from TX to FL.

If anything, I guess, I can just get my license in TX and after I get settled in, apply for and recieve the FL equivalent :dunno: guess I just answered my own questions :rofl:

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Texas permit is valid for 5 years it looks like. As long as Tx is your resident state, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're gonna be there for years though, might as well get both.

3. crucial_fiction

yeah that's what I'm thinking. Texas offers both a resident/non-resident license, however the only one Florida Recognizes is the resident one.

Might as well just save any potential headache, get the TX resident and then get the Florida license. Yeah I'm going to be in FL for at least 4 years.

4. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

You should get you FL CHL anyways, It's got reciprocity with more states than TX. I plan on it.

5. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

i got my florida permit because its good for like 30 states.

6. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

How do you get one in FL, just pay for it? Take a test? I know every state is different. Just curious.

7. rat

rat New Member

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

1) Request the packet
    2) Get your fingerprints taken by the local police on the card provided in packet
    3) Fill out application, include a copy of a training certificate (they take a ton of stuff, including a hunter education course), get signature notarized
    4) Go to Walgreens and get 2 passport photos for $7.99, you'll need to include one with your application
    5) Mail everything with check for $117.

Then you wait. It can take a while, up to 90 days. I sent mine in about a month ago and haven't heard anything yet.

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I got mine in 1 week and most people I have talked to got theirs' in under 3 weeks. In my packet there was a green sheet that explained how to digitally submit your fingerprints. There a certain police stations that will digitally scan your finger prints and then you pay them the 30-something for the prints and 75 (I think) with the application and they send the prints right over to the DOA and then you hear back from them.

10. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I'm talking about FL non-resident, you can only do electronic submission if you are a FL resident. If you are a non-resident, you must have ink done on the FBI print card.

Non-resident permits take a lot longer to get, usually at least 2 months because of the slow ass FBI processing.

11. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

the insert i got said i could go to a FL sheriffs office and get it done

12. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

You are going to fly down to Florida just so they can take your prints? :ugh:

13. NGA WHAT?

NGA WHAT? New Member

how do you go about gertting one in TX. I know I have to take the course...should I send in an application first? I just want to make sure I do everything in the right order!

14. crucial_fiction

TX is fairly simple, from the range I'm going to in dallas, they basicly have everything for you. Apps/pics/printing all that, one stop shopping. Only thing I don't have to do in TX is the range time. Saves a couple hours off the 10hr course.

15. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Most any gun range in TX will be able to help you with your CCW license, if not have a program for it.

16. crucial_fiction

17. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

he is going to be living in FL and the texas permit is honored here so he can apply once he is hear for ease of use if he has to chow his permit.

this is from the "Electric Fingerprint Submission" form from my application packet.

5. A NOTICE TO OUT-OF-STATE APPLICANTS

PLEASE NOTE THAT ELECTRONIC FINGERPRINT SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE ONLY AT SHERIFFS' OFFICES IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA If you are visiting Florida from out-of-state, you can get your fingerprints scanned at a nearby sheriff's office. However, if your scanned fingerprints are deemed unacceptable or illegible for conducting a criminal history background check by (FDLE) or the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), you will be required to submit a second set of prints. If you are still in Florida, you can simply return to the same sheriff's office were initially taken and have them scanned again. On the other hand, if you have already left Florida and returned home and are unable to return to Florida to have your prints scanned a second time, you will have to submit your second set of prints on a fingerprint card. Because the format of your second fingerprint submission (paper card) would be different from the format of your first submission (digital scan), FDLE regulations would require you to submit a $42.00 fingerprint processing fee with this second submission.

18. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

maybe that can be useful to people who live relativly close to florida or people who are already visiting florida. i live in CT and i just spent 2 months working in florida. even though i already have my florida permit, i could of gotten it done while i was there

19. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

What age do you have to be to get the FL license?

20. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

21. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Is it honored in Mo if you are 21? Or do you have to be the age required by Mo, which I think is 23?

22. Slick26

If MO honors FL permits, they cannot restrict the age requirement from another state. Either they accept FL permits or not.

23. Aequitas

According to this http://http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html MO does honor the FL permit. I'm guessing it would be allowed, but would have to look more into MO law to be sure.

24. Slick26

25. Aequitas