GUN Concealed Carry Questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by eu4ia, Nov 14, 2008.

1. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

I purchased my first handgun (Glock 19) the other day. With what is going on with politics these days and the uncertainty of what is going to happen to gun laws I also applied for a concealed carry permit. Here in Alabama where I am stationed all it takes is one form and $20 to get one.

While this is my first handgun, I am not new to firearms. I have owned a shotgun and rifle for a while now. I am also active duty military. So I know all the proper firearm safety rules.

I am not planning on carrying until I become very comfortable with my new pistol, just got the permit now because who knows if I would be able to in the future.

So basically I am asking are there any general common sense rules to follow for concealed carry that go beyond the gun safety rules? I know where I am not allowed to carry (government buildings, churches, while drinking etc). What are some good holsters and carry ammunition?

Please give me any advice on how to be a responsible concealed carrier when I do decide to start.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Get a good holster that conceals well and take a handgun class or two. The good ones will teach you to draw from concealment, the laws of your state and all that good stuff.

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Thats a big topic.

I've carried a Glock 19 pretty much every day for a year and a half. I have two concealment holsters... a Milt Sparks Summer Special II, and a Comp-Tac/MTAC. Overall I like the Summer Special II better, but the MTAC isnt' bad, and can actually provide better concealment since it is tuckable and can be configured to ride very low in the waist band... although both of those features impede the draw. A good belt is as import if not more imporatant than a good holster. I wear either a Wilderness CSM belt or a double layer bullhide belt from TheBeltMan.net

Refer to this article for choosing carry ammunition: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

My "general rules" when carrying are:
    - Expose the trigger as infrequently as possible. The only time my carry gun leaves the holster is for cleaning or practice. Otherwise I treat the hoslter and firearm as one unit.
    - Concealed means concealed. Wear adequate cover garments.
    - Have some method of locking/securing your firearm in your vehicle for the time when you need to disarm while you're out.

4. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

First off its not just 20 dollars and a form. Please dont down play the seriousness of the back ground checks performed to issue you a permit. Anti's love to say it just how you did as an excuse to get training requirements for carry permits. I know I sound like a dick, but I hate hearing anti's use that line.

I dont know AL law, but I am in GA and prefer to OC. I use a Blackhawk serpa for OC and a comptac minotaur for CC.

5. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I had to take a $75 class and I still have to pay a $105 fee for my CPL... I'm considering just holding off and testing the waters with Obama since $105 is a lot for a broke college student :o. He said outright that he wants conceal carry gone for civilians, so I'm going to wait until after his first month in office. I'm guessing he'll either a.) issue an executive order right away b.) make his plans public, in which case I'd lose my CPL anyway. If nothing is said about it in that first month I'll go out and get it. It's not like your CPL will get grandfathered in if any new laws pass.

6. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

Background checks are a given, anyone I am seeking advice from knows this which is why I didn't feel the need to mention it.