GUN Concealed Carry Permits = bad

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Joe_Cool, May 14, 2004.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I personally will not ever apply for a concealed carry permit. I have a serious problem with applying for permission to exercise a right guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. Doing so is playing right into the hands of the anti-gun establishment in this country. Here's why:

You're asking for permission. This is as good as reducing your right to a privilege.
    You're giving the government (an entity that is by and large against gun ownership, with very few exceptions) a list of what guns you own, and - even worse - a list of who the gun owners are, including all of their information.

Yes it's better to be allowed to carry with a permit than to be disallowed altogether, but submitting to unconstitutional laws and procedures is a step toward giving up our rights altogether. Remember the California "assault-weapon" ban, which used the previously mandated registration lists as confiscation checklists.

Discuss.

2. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I gave no such list to anyone....I didn't even take the course with the same gun that I carry now. This may just be a difference in your state and mine though:dunno:

3. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

On a personal level, I agree. On a realistic level, there is a much bigger and much better fight. It's simply a symptom of that larger issue.

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." - HDT

4. chiadog

chiadog Guest

^what he said. Though i do enjoy open carry no permit needed.

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

At least I am in a state that issues permits, so I will take advantage of it. I would rather do it legally, than illegally and end up with more problems.

6. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Someone needs to do something in Cali. We can't even carry guns.

7. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Cali is a fucked up state with fucked up people.

I like the idea behind it, but realisticly, it wont happen. When i got my CPL, concealed pistol license, i didnt have to give out any info on what i had. They just needed the information to do a background check, to make sure i wasnt a criminal.

I like the idea of having this do. Helps prevent guns falling into the hands of criminals, no matter how futile it might be. :hs:

8. RRTX

RRTX New Member

In TX you do not give any info on what guns you own to get a permit, you don't give any more info on the application than any job application I've ever filled out. When I took the class to get my permit there were a couple people in the class that didn't even own any guns yet. The state doesn't have any more info on me now than they ever did so it doesn't worry me. I would rather have the permit and carry legally than risk losing my right to ever own a firearm again.

9. Mitch'SS

Mitch'SS New Member

I carry mine without a permit everywere. Even in courts/ hospitals and schools.

But I spent 7 months in a academy and took a test too :)

10. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

your badge is your permit :fawkd:

11. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Colorado doesn't have you declare your firearm, but I felt like a crimminal getting fingerprinted.

12. stewprime

stewprime New Member

You must be in Clark County (ie. Vegas) as it is the only county in Nevada that requires you to register your firearm and carry the blue card. I recently moved to Clark County from Carson City where I obtained my CCW and they do not require you to register your guns up north or require you to carry a registration card.

stew

13. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

sucks for you guys to live in states where cities can counties can override the state laws like that. GA law states that no lower gov'ts can make laws prescribing the manner in which firearms may be borne or discharged.

14. Joe_Cool

That's how it is here, too. It's part of our state constitution. In fact, the first incarnation of our concealed carry permit law was struck down by the NM Supreme Court as unconstitutional, because it allowed cities to opt out of issuing and honoring the permits. They redrew it without the opt-out and it passed.

NM isn't the best state for gun laws (that's Vermont), but it's pretty damn good. :)

15. footratfunkface

well, it's pretty sad that we needed the first 10 amendments to keep gov't in general in line, but we did, and they're there.

16. Joe_Cool

I was very pleasantly surprised that the courts had the guts to stand up to the heavy pressure from the cities and strike down the law. And the same goes for the Legislature, for passing it again with the changes.

From the NM Constitution:
    :bigthumb:

Here is the court decision: http://www.supremecourt.nm.org/pastopinion/VIEW/02sc-017.html

It was actually pretty sweet, because the jackass former mayor challenged the law on the basis of the prior clause: "but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons" - which is probably what lost the election for him. The court ignored his arguments claiming that the Constitution banned concealed carry (who ever heard of a Bill of Rights creating a prohibitive law?!), and unanimously voted to overturn based on the fact that it allowed municipalities and counties to regulate an incident of the right to bear arms.

I'm voting to retain all 5 justices.

17. stewprime

stewprime New Member

:doh: My bad...

18. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

being able to carry a gun is no different than being able to drive a car

I would much rather know that the people carrying CCW's know how to use them, and have taken a test proving that fact. Otherwise, alot of innocent people could end up hurt/killed because someone wants to try to hit a bad guy in the temple with a bullet like they saw in a movie.

People have to be able to show that they know how to operate a vehicle before they can get a license, and i think the least the government should do is make people take a test showing that they know how to accurately shoot a firearm, and show some knowledge of local laws before letting them carry a pistol out in public.

19. footratfunkface

yes, it is different. being able to drive is a priviledge. you do not have the right to drive. it is not protected by the const't'tn. you do, however, have the right to defend your life, liberty, and property from an aggressor, be it other citizens, or the gov't. since firearms make such defense much safer and easier for the defender, they are naturally to be protected by the const't't'n. since they're protected by the const't't'n and driving is not, i'm right, you're wrong. you should not have to proove that you are capable of being "allowed" to defend yourself.

20. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

I've heard this argument many times. Please let me know when...

-Assault Cars are illegal (Ferarris, Corvettes, Camaros, and/or any vehicle with more then 2 "assault type features": Turbo, Supercharger, Spoiler, Ground Effects, Standard Transmission, Bucket Seats)
    -You need to have a background check with the FBI to buy a car.
    -You are fingerprinted before you can buy a car.
    -Your license is only good in the state you live in, and it's a felony if you're caught driving your car in another state.
    -You cannot sell your car to your neighbor without bringing it to a dealer to transfer it.
    -You have to register your farm-vehicle, even if it'll never leave your property.
    -You have to show ID in order to purchase gas.

... and THEN owning a gun will be no different then owning a car. Until then, owning a gun is FAR more difficult then owning a car, and frankly more people are killed by cars every year then by guns.

21. 01_Cruiser

please note that i said CARRYING a gun, not OWNING

i dont give two shits about who owns a gun, and i am all for gun ownership, but i dont want some old granny who cant see worth a shit carrying a .357 in her purse, or some billy badass who just turned 21 to start carrying a pistol "just because he can"

I would much rather see that people had to show proficiency with a firearm before they are allowed to legally carry it in a public place. To me that is just common sense.

22. 01_Cruiser

So you are saying that anyone over the age of 21 should be able to carry a pistol on them, with no restrictions? :hsugh:

i've seen plenty of idiots with firearms on a gun range....and i would really rather not see them acting the same way in public places, where they can injure or kill innocent people

23. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:werd:

24. footratfunkface

see, my libertarian and logical way of thinking is this: anyone of legal age (18) should be able to do ANYTHING they want, so long as it does not deprive anyone else of their rights, property, or physical well-being. so, tell me, how does carrying a pistol deprive anyone of anything?

25. Joe_Cool

I can't speak for anybody else, but that's what I say. With the exception that it should be 18, not 21.

I've seen plenty of idiots with cars on a race track....and i would really rather not see them acting the same way in public places, where they can injure or kill innocent people.

There are lots of things that go on at shooting ranges that don't go on in everyday public life. LIKE SHOOTING. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004