GUN Conceal Carry

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by finnrot, Jan 13, 2009.

1. finnrot

finnrot New Member

In California it's almost impossible to get a conceal to carry permit unless you are a celebrity or you know the local sheriff where you live.

I have always been told that if you get caught carrying a concealed gun that you would be charged with a felony and possibly get thrown in prison. I work the night shift and I bullshit with the guards at work, one of them is some kind of weapons expert and knows a lot about these kind of things.

I asked him what would happen if you were walking down the street and a cop thought you looked liked a perp that had just committed a crime in the neighborhood and did a search on you and discovered you were carrying a legally licensed gun, but you had it concealed on you.

He told me that you could only be charged with a misdemeanor that carried a huge fine, but that it would NOT be a felony rap, and no jail time.

Is that correct?

2. Section8

Section8 .

maybe a question for WMD

3. certified.shitass

certified.shitass New Member

Only if it's pink

4. lt1_kid

lt1_kid OT Supporter

[​IMG]

5. Section8

Section8 .

here's my preferred conceal carry piece for going to CA

[​IMG]

6. wayne and zeus

wayne and zeus oh it will, won't it

in for answer

7. lt1_kid

lt1_kid OT Supporter

8. feetball

feetball New Member

Let's ask OT questions that, if answered incorrectly, have felony and pound me in the ass prison consequences.

9. Bausk

Bausk New Member

It's a better question for a more knowledgeable WMD'er, but I know that it is a misdemeanor that is only one step lower than a felony and does/can include jail time.

10. Thug Henry

Thug Henry I'm too old to be here...

:ugh::wtc:

11. finnrot

finnrot New Member

Jail time? That's interesting, conflicts with what I was told. Just curious.

12. Thug Henry

Even if it were only a misdemeanor, you would never be able to purchase another firearm in CA legally again.

Go talk to the local sheriff.

13. Bausk

Bausk New Member

You can probably search for a more accurate answer in WMD.

14. finnrot

finnrot New Member

Sorry, didn't know about WMD

15. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

try calguns

16. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

Sorry for the lengthly read, but here's my take. Some/many may not agree with me. It has to really come down to that it's YOUR choice what you do in life and the consequences that come along with it.

I know here in WI (one of 2 states that doesn't issue), I have several "friends" who carry daily (not going to implicate anything/anyone). Here it is a class 3 misdemeanor (up to 90 days in jail, a fine, gun confiscated).

I am good friends with the local CLEO and a few of the officers, and one County Sheriff, and i've asked them all theoretically what would happen. Basically I've been told unianimously that the only way you're going to get caught is if you're marking and someone notices and freaks out, or you're breaking the law and get frisked. A simple traffic stop is just that. You'll just get a ticket for the moving violation unless you've given the officer consent to search or you've done something wrong (ie, having a controlled substance with a firearm is a big time felony)

That being said, you have to weigh the risk versus the reward of being able to protect yourself and your family in the very remote chance that you'll ever even have to draw. I know my "friends" feel very safe, even though they know they are breaking the law.

On another note, God forbid you ever DID have to draw and use deadly force, have the best criminal defense lawyer's business card in your wallet. Also take a CCW class whether CCW is offered in your state or not. At least you will even know more about the ramifications, liabilities and everything else that goes along with carrying a weapon on you.

Depending where you live as well, I'd have a hard time believing that if a perp pulled a gun on you and you shot them dead, that the state would use you as an example. Pretty sure that the NRA and every other gun-advocacy group would be behind you 110% (I may be wrong though, maybe someone else can chime in.

(Everything I have said here is either my opinion, and some of it is the law and what I've experienced. YMMV)

17. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I could be wrong, but in some states it might be :dunno:

18. Thug Henry

Depends on the state....hence the go talk to your local sheriff!

You have given the best advice....go find out the laws from someone that truly knows and make a decision based on that!

19. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Where is that post on "It's only a misdemeanor?" It explained the jail time, consequences, etc of "just" a misdemeanor.

20. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

regarding mine? A misdemeanor isn't a Felony. They can't take the rest of your guns away (plus prison time, etc etc). Maybe I (if it was me) shouldn't have used the term "just". Yes, it's still a crime, albeit not the end of the world.

And like my post said, at least in some people's views, the risk is far less than the reward (possibly protecting your loved ones). Especially if you're a law abiding citizen and aren't in a position where you are going to get caught CCW'ing when you're not legally allowed to.

EDIT: and reading back through my post, I never said it was "just" a misdemeanor.

21. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

from what I understand, it's only a misdemeanor if: a) it's your first offense, b) you purchased the gun legally in CA (it's on the approved DOJ list) and it's registered to you.