GUN Conceal and carry pistol care.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 1BadZ, Mar 31, 2007.

1. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

What extra steps should I take to maintain my pistol to protect it against the heat and humidity of Missouri summers? Should I clean and oil my gun every month? What is the standard of care I should be doing?

About the only thing I've been doing is wiping it down with a silicone gun cloth every time it goes out and swapping magazines every month to prevent wear on the magazine springs.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

buy a glock and dont worry about it.

dont worry about the mag's the springs wont wear out anytime soon. Wiping it down occasionally with silicone cloth is the only extra thing I do with ccw pieces. Only oil when i clean after range trips.

3. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

Cool, thanks for the help!

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I try to clean at least every month or 2 to keep it fresh if it doesn't make it to the range and then get a post range trip cleaning. But depending on the finish a wipe with silicone can be great every week or so.

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I always wondered how liquid glass (http://www.liquidglass.com/) would fare on metalic parts of a gun. For those of you who haven't used it, it's approved for all nonsporous (sp?) part of a car. After a carwash you can use this stuff on body AND glass. Then it acts like temporary clear coat, any dings from sand etc only goes on a layer of liquid glass. Rain would bead up and roll off the surface that's been treated with this stuff.

I'm thinking protection from moisture and scuffs from un/holstering.

6. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

What finish wouldn't you use the silicone wipe? Can you use it on the polymer part of your gun? Do you wipe down trigger and handle part as well? Just got my first gun, trying to take care of it. :)

7. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

External metal surfaces. If it's a glock you don't need to wipe down the polymer. Silicone on the polymer would make it slick and hard to keep in your hand should you need to use it.

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Silicone on ANY part of the slide would be a bad idea. How will you clear malfunctions in a carry pistol if your hands slip off of the slide? What kind of pistol is it?

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Wiping with silcone is about as slick as sweaty hands or one of the teflon coatings when you first apply it and then dries. Grab the slide on the serrated part when racking it like you normally do or palm the slide with your whole hand and it's a non issue.
    I use a silicone rag on all weapons once a week whether I carry them or not and whether they are blued, parkerized or coated. Rust will happen no matter what the coating, it's just a "how long til it starts" issue.
    Also if you carry up against your skin, the gun will pick up flakes of dead skin and crap off your body. That stuff will also turn orangish and look like rust and will hold moisture. I wipe the guns down every couple days if it's up against skin or every day if I have been sweating or it's excessively humid.

It's simple preventative maintenance for any firearm.