MIL COMSEC Tip-of-The-day

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by andymodem, Apr 5, 2007.

1. andymodem

andymodem Ambitious, but rubbish.

Always make sure to check the battery level in your SKLs so that they don't die. :o :Ownedd:

2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Ok™

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Yeah, I'm guessing they lose the key when the battery dies, but if you can keep them powered you can change the battery before it dies... amirite?

4. andymodem

andymodem Ambitious, but rubbish.

Yeah, if the battery dies, all the keys go bye-bye. We have 2 batteries for each that get rotated monthly. Well, they didn't get rotated last month, so they were dead. :hsd:

5. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

in the navy we say "fuckin ITman :doh:" when that happens

6. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

COMSEC rocks!

7. Jyokker

TACLANES are the same way. Just create a PMI to change the battery before they reach the max time limit.

8. Jyokker

If by rocks you mean sucks long floppy donkey balls, then you are correct.

9. itski

itski Yargg

Its the RMs fault. I dont deal with any of that shit.

10. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

ah, the main excuse and the cause of most of the problems right there

THEY MERGED RM AND IT YEARS AGO, GET OVER IT AND LEARN HOW TO USE THE DAMN RADIOS/CRYPTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :squint:

11. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

That's pretty much what I meant, yeah.

12. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

whats a comsec?

13. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Never had that problem. The usual problem for me is idiots calling me on an unsecure line asking for flight info. Ummm..STE people, that's what it's for. I'm not telling Jim-Bob Joe when that flight of C-17's is due in over a normal phone. For all I know his name is Mohammed.

14. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Yes do both on a big deck, on a big deck if your a computer IT you will never work with radios or in radio. Once you start getting time under your belt, you get the computer NECs, and you definatly in most circumstances don't see radios. They merged us yes, but it was one of the worst decisions by the US Navy, we do nothing in that is in common, except use computers... hell merge all of the navy into IT now then cause every one seems to be using a computer these days. I will be glad they day they split us again. I'm sure radio says the same shit about us computer nerds, but I hate getting a 15 year RM into the shop who knows nothing about a computer, it's a complete waste, stick to what you know ffs.

15. Jyokker

crypto... making sure charlie can't read or hear what people do through encryption.

Communications Security.

People can go to jail over COMSEC violations.

16. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i hear this excuse all the time man, its not hard to know both, there is no guarantee you will be on a big deck ship your entire career, most shore duties and small ships you will need to know both for, and its covered in A school...so if youre transferring to one of these places, i suggest you head down to radio and get a little OJT before you head there... :hsd:

you hate getting a 15 year RM ( who is now an IT ) into your shop that doesnt know about computers, we hate getting 15-20 year ITs (radio or computer guys), that only know one side, it only makes things harder for everyone

17. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

I got a pretty big deck...but the key to making sure that everyone knows you have pretty big deck is to trim the shrubs around the deck. All the guys come over and say "hay...you have a big deck!"

18. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

I'm a comsec pirate. I hate it, so much shit can be fucked up if a slash in the wrong direction.

19. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

I was the alt COMESEC whore at my last assignment, but luckily we never played by the rules so I didn't have to do much :)

20. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

Is a SKL like a DTD? We just use DTD's and DES's in the Coast Guard.

21. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

It's not hard, but let me fill you in on a bit. A school is worthless, it was pretty bad when I wen't through it, and from what I have been told by our guys that just got from there, it sounds like even more was pruned from it to make more time for like... off time or something. Either A school equipment is too new or too old to be of any direct use. Learn concepts sure, but concepts fade fast if you don't put them to use.

Then you have the problem that this is the MILITARY. It generally isn't the sort of thing that your typical bill gates clones will be seen in. Most people have a hard time learning their own job let alone another persons job. Yes I consider radio & adp two different jobs, just like I would consider an ET and EM two different jobs. I'd rather be in radio than adp, radio is simple. Learn some block diagrams, everything goes from one piece of equipment to another, and everything can be tested individually. Messaging is really just learning some pubs, and crypto isn't hard, it's just annoying. ADP on the other hand, well its computers, and dumb users using the computers, and the computers are old because this is the military... that right there should describe enough.

So these 'excuses' you hear are most likely from your RMs who are secure in their easy & laid back jobs and walk over into a computer shop where the phone rings every 35 seconds and theres 20 people at the door and 75 trouble calls for shitty computers and gets scared and runs back home. We've had two of our people go from our shop to radio (mind you these wern't the brightest apples in the orchard) and they are destroying every one in the shop because after you spend 30min learning the freq spectrum, then start reading some diagrams, you can troubleshoot & setup almost any circuit the navy needs.

Whatever though, only sad part is since it takes the government 20 years to do anything I will be long gone by the time splits happen, and probably remerged with something else so we can get down to a 5 rate navy.. yay for common sense! :rolleyes:

22. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

well pointless to argue this anymore, all i have left to say is, find better analogies because i read that whole thing and all i could think about is how you compared ITs who work in radio and adp to ET's and EM's...

23. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Do ET's and EM's do the same job? Nope, however they both have an E in front of them. Do "RM's" and "DP's" do the same job? Nope, however they both have an I in front of them.

24. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

ummm, IT's have both radio and adp on their advancement exam, they can get orders to a command to do either, and are expected to know both

a better comparison would be like how ET's have radar, comm, and nav NEC's
    we are expected to know all of them, even though we only work in the workcenter that takes care of the stuff we have the NEC for, and we are tested on them all...we do nothing that EM's do

25. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I stole all the A123s BITCHES!!!