Computers and Programming 'Post of the Day Thread'

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This is a place for a moderator to place the most informative, most helpful post each day with the question quoted to place it in context.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Here is my post about Eclipse to start things out:

Eclipse is a simple, straight forward IDE. If you don't mess with its features, it isn't complicated. It is the best IDE for Java, and you will soon find yourself growing into it and using more and more of its features to boost your productivity.

www.eclipse.org It is also neat that you can use Eclipse for any language you want with plugins. I use it for Java/Perl/C/C++/XML/UML/HTML/Javascript, all at once. It changes perspectives to accomodate each file/project. But don't worry, you won't need to worry about any of that to just use Java.

All you have to do is click file->new project, type Java and then file->new class for each class.

Try it. You'll really, really like it. It is the best FOSS IDE around, and arguably the most advanced IDE in existence. But for your purposes it is simple and easy to use.

One thing: if you are loading external libraries not in J2EE or J2SE (whichever you have), then you will need to do one thing that was the only thing that tripped me up at first. Select the top level Java project you just created at the left hand project browser. and select file->properties. Then select "add external jars" and include those external libraries that your app depends on, it any. All the standard ones will already be there.

Try Eclipse. I am an enthusiast, have written plugins for it and even done application development using the Rich Client Platform, a way to build applications from Eclipse. I think I actually have some code in an add on for Eclipse: the Graphical Editing Framework. But the bottom line is that Eclipse is a great pleasure to code Java in, and although it is simple it has advanced features that you can grow into over time to make yourself a better programmer, it is simple to use as a Java IDE right off the bat.

This btw, is the post of the day in this forum.

3. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

I nominate myself, too.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

hmm, decent idea, horrible execution

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

That fine. I'm not a moderator. Let them decide. The mod told me to pick a post, and I picked mine. Let them decide from now on. I'm hardly impartial.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Why isn't this stickied yet?

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Why not write a little article about "How to interact with the windows process scheduler?" I'd like to hear some of what you know about that.

8. deusexaethera

I'm so inured to the cynicism in this forum that I can't tell whether you're being serious or not. Are you serious?

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'm serious. I don't mean point and click... how do you interact with the kernel's process scheduling API? Obviously you know. Want to talk about it?

10. deusexaethera

I'll try to post something by tomorrow.

11. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

So you actually intended this to be the "'Look how much smarter than you I think I am' post of the day" thread?

I wish I was a mod in this forum so I could lock this ego thread.

12. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Almost everythread on C&P is now an ego thread.

Oh to go back to the olden days....

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Try not to be dicks, guys. Or morons for that matter.

This is a thread for a moderator to PLUCK OUT the info from the ego penis fest in here and put it some place. Asshats. They're obviously not gonna do shit to this effect, so of well.

14. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

not a bad idea, so Friday we will pick the thread of the week from this current week, and it will be stickied.

15. deusexaethera

Actually, it sounds like your ego is the one that needs some comforting, judging from your gross misinterpretation of the point of this thread.

16. deusexaethera

Far be it for me to suggest that your criticism isn't wholly productive, but if you think this is a good idea, why don't you do something to make it better? Or were you simply stating that, unfortunately, there wasn't anything you could really sink your claws into?

17. Joe_Cool

Maybe so. But a thread that starts out "Let's keep the best post of the day. I nominate me" sounds pretty damned egotistical. Especially given the fact that Mr. Peyomp is given to showing off how much he knows AND making sure everybody sees his posts that he feels are particularly clever.

So when he followed up with ""How to interact with the windows process scheduler?" I'd like to hear some of what you know about that" and "I'm serious. I don't mean point and click... how do you interact with the kernel's process scheduling API? Obviously you know. Want to talk about it?"

I mistook it for a smart ass comment. I didn't realize until later that it may have been a serious request for information from you.

But even discounting that, "Hey let's record the best posts in the forum. Mine was the best today" still comes off as an ego thread. Somebody else should have made the thread if Peyomp's was post of the day.

Don't get me wrong - I like Peyomp and he knows his shit. But he has a hell of an ego. I have a hell of an ego too. I can't deny that. :o I'm just saying that this thread WAS, in fact, poorly executed.

I do believe this is the first time I've ever sided with jollyogre against you. :rofl:

18. Joe_Cool

I guess that sounded like a non-apology. Peyomp, I misunderstood you, and I apologize for pouncing on you. :o

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

He created TWO threads, and I contributed in the last. I suggested a Wiki, which I feel would go to MUCH more use than this.

However, never-fear. I have decided to integrate a wiki into my new personal website, which will be released shortly:wiggle:

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Are you moderator of this forum? If so... how about you stop talking about this and actually nominate a post? Then egos will be put aside. Another mod ASKED me to suggest one, so I did. But it doesn't matter. Lets work on making another rec today.

Find the best, most informative post of the day, contextualize, prune this thread, and sticky.

21. deusexaethera

Will it be interconnected with OT?

22. deusexaethera

:rolleyes: He had to start with something, didn't he? The only material he could summon at will was his own. As for what you (and I) mistook for a smart-ass comment on his part, I at least had the sense to ask if he was serious.

(sigh) Another non-starter in the C&P cesspool. I really wish the mods would do their jobs again. A mod post early on could have saved this idea.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no. It will be mine.

24. Nocera

Nocera ...

This is not a new, brilliant idea. It has been discussed and attempted many times before in the last few years and has never materialized. If you want a "Post of the Day" thread, then we can easily have one. If people PM me with their vote of the day, I'd be more than happy to post the winner. IB :crickets:

Personally, I think a collection of EDU threads is much more informative. A bunch of responses to specific questions in a single, clusterfuck of a thread is never going to be read.

25. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

:werd: look at the EDU's we have now. They work well. The Certs one is fine