Computers and Power protection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by et3rnul, Jan 11, 2007.

1. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

A few weeks ago, my apartment complex power started going on and off. Thank god I save my work frequently. However, I really want an extra sense of security. I'm looking for a good UPS for a reasonable price. My desktop runs off of a 450 watt PSU and a Dell 2005FPW. Does anyone have any recommendations? These things act as surge protectors too right?

Side note: Does anyone use a power conditioner? I know many people use it for home theater, but I haven't heard much on computers. Is it overkill?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

A 500VA APC UPS will work fine to ride out short outages and flickers. Get more volt amps (VA) for longer run times. Yes, they also act as surge supressors provided you have a good ground connection. The cheaper UPSs (standby type) only kick in when the incoming voltage goes out of range. The more expensive (online type) runs your computer off the battery all the time. Standby is fine for home use.

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Are there any warning signs that a power conditioner may be needed in your home?

4. Coddle

Coddle New Member

Check the fluctuation of power in your line :dunno:

5. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

If you just want to protect yourself from brown outs, any one will do. My building has unreliable power and it's not uncommon to get power outages of a second or so. Because of this, both my computer and my playstation (and TV) are on UPSs. It's weird to watch TV and then have the lights go out and wonder why as you continue to watch TV...

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

ahh, i love the sound of hearing my upses click when all the lights go out...but my tivo and pc don't miss a beat