Computer won't turn on

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Not sure what happened here but it was running fine lastnight. I shut it down before I went to bed and went to turn it on a few minutes ago and I get nothing. No lights turn on, the fans don't start up it does nothing at all. I checked all the connections and made sure no cards or plugs had come unplugged and it still won't work. It was also plugged into a surge protector as well, any ideas?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Do you get any lights on the motherboard? It could be a bad power supply (or a fuse inside) or a broken power switch on the front. Find where the power switch connects to the motherboard and short those two pins with a screw driver. If it starts, your board is fine.

3. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

No lights at all, not the LED's on the case or the one LED on the motherboard itself, I press the button and nothing happens at all. How do I go about shorting those pins?

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Find the two pins on the board that have the power switch plugged into them. Usually they are all it a row or a couple rows of pins with the LED, reset, speaker connections. Unplug the power switch and touch something metal (like a flathead screwdriver) to both of them.

Alternatively, you can unplug the reset switch, plug it in where the power switch was, and use that.

I doubt it would be the switch though, I've never seen one go bad. Most likely your power supply has died. Either that or you just need to reset your surge strip, it might have got hit and tripped the breaker. Make sure other stuff you plug into it gets power.

edit: If it looks like the power supply, you can test it this way: unplug the power cord, then unplug the PS connector from the mainboard. Look on the 20-pin plug on the clip side, you will see a green wire. This is the power-on lead. Take a paper clip, straighten it, then bend it in half so you can jam it into that green wire's pin connector and into one of the black ground wires adjacent to it. Once you have done that plug the AC power into the power supply and see if the fan spins up (anything else that is still plugged into the PS should power up also).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  5. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Yeah the surge strip is fine eveything else has power. So I just need to touch a screwdriver to the pins on the motherboard for the power switch, I'll give it a shot.

6. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Probably the PSU, easy way to test is to unplug the motherboard connector, take a straightened paper clip and use it to jump the GREEN wire on that connector with any BLACK wire. If the PSU is good the unit will turn on (fan will spin). If nothing, it's toast.