Computer wont turn on (at all)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Under_Fire, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Under_Fire

Under_Fire Duck and Run

so my aunt gave me her fairly new Dell machine because one day it stopped turning on, out of nowhere. I plug it in, no lights come on the back, the on/off switch does NOTHING but there is a green light on next to the RAM. So its getting some power, but nothing will turn on. What could it be?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

First guess (and easiest to replace) is the power supply. Just because its getting some power, doesn't mean its getting enough to start up. Look up the model number to make sure its a standard ATX power supply. It should be but some older Dells were proprietary. Also, is the voltage selector on the back set to 115v?

3. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Check the switch for continuity and voltage going to it, have a spare battery you can swap out on the motherboard?

Some ideas.

4. Under_Fire

Under_Fire Duck and Run

can't find this.

5. Under_Fire

Under_Fire Duck and Run

k, the voltage selector is at 115v, and i tried a new Dell power supply. nothing. what are my other options? could the mobo be fried? and ive never replaced a mobo battery.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Motherboard battery shouldn't affect the power up. All it does is keep CMOS settings alive when the power is off. It could be a bad motherboard or something as simple as the power switch on the front of the case. If it was a generic machine, you could easily find the pair of pins that connect to the powe switch and short them with a screwdriver to start the machine. But Dell puts all the front connectors in a single plug. Not sure what's what in there. Try disconnecting everything from the power supply and motherboard except for the video card, ram, CPU and see if it will start.

7. Under_Fire

Under_Fire Duck and Run

if it is the switch then shouldnt the lights on the bakc of the case still light up?

8. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

This could be hard to pinpoint, but try to find the PW_SW connector for the power switch.

If you can do that, tap it with a very small screwdriver, don't be a dick like me and pop the fucking speaker connector with a big one, thank God my Chaintech has a built in system speaker :rofl:.

If it fires up, which at this point I'm 99% sure that that is the problem, install the board and PSU into a new case and be done with it.

9. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Forgot to post this, Dell's use either a ribbon cable or a single integrated pin connector for the power switch/IDE LED/Power LED.

If you have a ribbon cable, don't fucking touch it. That goes right to the USB ports also and you can fuck the board.

But the only Dimension 4400 I ever worked on had the PW_SW connector STILL ON THE BOARD, PLAIN AS DAY, JUST WITH A SOLDER BLOB AND NO PINS! And the older HP boards had the traces connected and they worked! As did the Dell! I never tried the Dell but the HP fired up like a banshee!

If you see those connectors, BY ALL MEANS SHORT THEM WITH A SCREWDRIVER AND SEE IF THE MACHINE POWERS UP! That could be salvation!

Get a buddy with soldering skills and it's fixed to work in a standard case!

Now, for the other option, the pin connector...Tap random shit on it until it powers up. It might take five minutes. But it'll happen. Then, pinpoint the location of the Power_SW pins and you're good to go in a new case. The PW_LED and IDE_LED pins should be in close vicinity, hook up the LED's to them and see what happens, you can't blow an LED that way anyway.

Hope this helps :cool:.

10. couchlock

couchlock OT Supporter

power supply, mobo, or pW switch. ive seen that little bastard green light on all of the above problems still on

11. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

The green LED on the motherboard will light up as soon as standby power is applied, regardless of whether or not the front power "switch" works.