computer won't shut off most of the time

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coma, Sep 27, 2005.

1. coma

coma New Member

The OS is ME (Hewlett Packard). Just about 3/4 of the times, I have to shut off the stupid thing via the power strip. I shut it off the proper way, but most of the time it will shut down "not quite" that is to say, the fan stays running (screen is off, power button lights off, etc.). It's been doing this almost since it was new so it's not an acute situation. It's not loaded with a million programs and there's at least 80% free disc space. I've had various firewall and virus programs over the years and it makes no difference. I know that the Millenium Edition is the worst operating system, but I've never heard of anybody else with this problem. Somebody on CyberTech said it was dust inside the case. Well, I cleaned it out (not much dust, really) but it made no difference.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Next time you are in Windows, go into the power options in Control Panel and look for an ACPI setting and make sure it is turned on. If that doesn't help, there may be a setting a ACPI setting in the BIOS.

3. Frequency

Frequency New Member

found your problem

4. coma

coma New Member

I fixed it. I ran the Recovery disc (that came w/ the computer) and for some crazy reason it's shutting off properly now. :hsd:

5. chips

chips ...

may of been your anti virus

fyi get away from ME

6. coma

coma New Member

Yes I agree ME is the worst OS, but I'm coaxing this thing until Vista comes out.
    In the meantime, I've bought a "real" anti-virus with firewall (Mcaffee) rather than the free crap like AVG and I update it religiously.

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

AVG probably worked just as well...

If you have a copy of 98SE I'd use that over Me. More stable and less security problems.

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd:

Or "buy" a copy of XP and "upgrade" it to Vista when it comes out ;)