Computer won't resume from sleep mode when OC'ed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Vatoloco, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

I tried overclocking by bumping the FSB from 266 to 333. Everything seems to work okay except for after Vista goes into sleep mode. I can never get it to come back out. As soon as I hit the power button, the fans start up and it acts like it is going to resume but a couple seconds later it just shuts down again and then it'll try again and repeat the process forever until I pull the plug.

I've tried googling for suggestions but it doesn't seem like this is a problem anyone has really run into. Any idea what might cause it? Resuming from sleep works great as long as leave the bios at the stock 266 FSB.

CPU: Intel Q6600
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
    Ram: 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

didn't you get this pc just like two days ago?
    did you even test that your OC is stable?

3. Vatoloco

Yes, the only thing I've done so far is run through a few successful passes of memtest86 because I had to adjust the timings. I'll get to Prime95 if I decide to leave it overclocked. I use sleep mode all the time though so if I can't figure out how to get it to resume from sleep, than I probably won't be OC'ing. :wtc:

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

go to bios > Power Management Setup
    make sure mouse or keyboard is enabled

edit: how do you wake up the pc btw? pwr button?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Maybe your system is simply not stable OC -- at least at those values.

6. Vatoloco

Power button normally, but I just enabled to resume with a double-click on the mouse and the results are the same. The PSU just stops, starts, stop, starts, etc.

I think I've narrowed in down to something to do with the "CPU Host Clock Control" setting in the bios. Enabling that is what lets me bump the FSB from 266 to 333... but if I enable it and still leave the FSB at 266 then I still can't resume from sleep mode.

7. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Nvidia had a bug in their driver software that caused this, you aren't by chance using old drivers for anything are you?

8. Vatoloco

I have MSI 8600GT's. I didn't use the disk that came with the card, I just went to nvidia's site and installed the latest drivers (version 169.25).

Still, would changing that "CPU Host Clock Control" setting in the bios that lets me adjust the FSB have any effect on the video cards? The system resumes from sleep without any problem if I don't try and OC.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

CPU Host Clock Control simply gives you the option to adjust the CPU Host Frequency manually (Enabled) or configure it automatically (Disabled).

Any changes to CPU Host Frequency will directly affect Memory Frequency.

Note that Gigabyte boards are very anal about RAM. I suspect that you tweaking the RAM timings is the one responsible of screwing things up.

Try running the RAM Frequency back to auto. Make sure RAM voltage is 2.2V

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

btw,... I also recall this sleep error was experienced by users using a pirated copy of Vista.

11. Vatoloco

I've tried leaving the RAM to auto (it sets the timings at 5-7-7-23) and the same sleep problem occurs. One thing I'm not sure about is what voltage it is using on the RAM. It doesn't tell me. The only option it give is to overclock the voltage in .05 steps, but doesn't give me a starting point.

I did manage to get Vista to boot with the RAM's recommended timings (4-4-4-12) when I set the FSB to 333 by also changing the system memory multiplier to 2.40x.

Still the no waking up from sleep problem always occurs unless I just leave that "CPU Host Clock Control" disabled.

12. Vatoloco

My copy isn't legit. I kind of doubt that is the problem though. I'm willing to rule it out though. Is there a way to download a legit copy of Vista and then I can test it before the activation period kicks in it?

13. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

in your bios main screen,... go to PC Health Status
    DDR18V is your RAM voltage
    default is 1.8v

on MB Intelligent Tweaker,... set System Voltage Control to Manual, adjust DDR OverVoltage Control to +0.4 or something. Then go back to PC Health Status,... verify if DDR18V is 2.2v

14. Vatoloco

Okay. It looks like the stock voltage is 1.872v. I set the multiplier and timings to auto and bumped the ram +0.35V, DDR18V changed to 2.192v. Windows wouldn't put.. just crapped out with a bluescreen. :wtc:

When I have the timings set manually to 4-4-4-12 and the multiplier at 2.4x, then that DDR18V reads at 2.144v.

Is there a specific site where you getting all this info for the Gigabyte mobo, or do you have one?

15. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

I downloaded a copy of your manual.

Anyway,... you have 4x1GB sticks of RAM right?
    Having all slots filled could stress the Northbridge and could lead to your errors.
    So try this:
    Restore the settings which you are booting properly and no BSODs.
    Note that 4-4-4-12 with 2.2V is your Crucial RAM's stock settings.
    Then increase the voltage of the Northbridge. It is @ the MB Intelligent Tweaker screen, (G)MCH OverVoltage Control. Increase it by +0.025v, then test. If it still didn't work, increas it again another +0.025v. I think your max is +0.375 so stop there.

You might want to test using 2 sticks of RAM only too (at stock/auto NorthBridge voltage). Make sure sticks are installed in slots 1 and 3, or slots 2 and 4.

16. Vatoloco

Thanks for the suggestions. I was optimistic it was going to work but I just pulled two sticks of RAM and still have the sleep problem. :(

I also tried upping the (G)MCH OverVoltage and it looks like no matter what I set it to I get a BSOD. From more testing, if the System Voltage Control isn't set to Auto than I get BSOD... and of course I can't change anything in that section if it is on Auto.

17. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

geez,.... i'll start from scratch if I were you.
    reset CMOS (page 34 of your manual)
    flash to the newest BIOS if there is one

18. sk0rcher

sk0rcher The universe is watching

Make your ram timings/voltage all stock first. OC system and try to get the 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio. My overclock wouldn't work unless I had everything stock and little to know overclock on memory. Sometimes the sticks are like that.

19. Vatoloco

Do you think it is possible that something during the windows install sets certain parameters for sleep mode and now those are all fucked up because I've oc'd? This install of vista was just to play with so I'm planning to reinstall anyways. I think I'll reset the bios, then set all my OC options and then install a fresh copy and see what happens.

20. Vatoloco

I was able to pull of a 1:1 by setting FSB at 333, mem timings at 4-4-4-12, memory muiltipler at 2x. Still no luck with resuming from sleep mode though.

21. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

:nono:
    reset bios
    install OS
    make sure everything is working fine at stock settings
    ???
    then you OC

it's a bigger problem if your hardware is failing at stock settings

22. Vatoloco

Yeah, everything is working fine at stock settings right now though. :)

I'm probably going to give up on this for tonight. Maybe I'll find some new life tomorrow.

23. Vatoloco

Just wondering if any might have any other thoughts on what could cause this? In an effort to track it down I've tried tons of different mobo settings (bumping voltages in different areas), pulling sticks of RAM, pulling video cards and even temporarily unplugging fans.

24. sk0rcher

sk0rcher The universe is watching

Try with only one stick of ram. What slots are the sticks in? Flip em around maybe.

25. Vatoloco

When I tested with just two sticks, I pulled them from 1 and 3 so only 2 and 4 were loaded. I haven't tried with just one stick but it is worth a shot.

I went so far as to up the northbridge voltage +0.375 (max it'll let me) and still no luck.

If I don't have any luck with the memory I might go to the video cards next and actually pull them both out and see if a friend has a non nvidia card I can try out. Maybe it is related to those drivers. :dunno: