Computer won't cold boot when ambient temp is low...WTF?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PSUPef2K, Oct 16, 2006.

1. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

Ok, so I have been having a cold boot issue that when my PC is off for a while, it takes a reset or two to get it to post. Once it comes up though, it is fine. Now, this becomes increasingly noticable, and more resets are required as the ambient temperature in my room decreases. Yesterday it was pretty damn cold in my room, and it wouldn't post at all, just constantly giving the memory error beep code. I have run memtest on the memory and it is fine for 8+ hours, so that is not the problem. CPU is not OC'd either.

So, seeing as temperature effects the bootability so much, I think "Lets introduce some heat to the environment and see if that helps." I get a hair dryer and aim it in the side intake panel while turning it on. 1 reset later, it boots up fine!!! :hsugh:

Needless to say this is frusterating beyond belief, and I have never heard of temperature impacting a component so much, and I don't even know what component is at fault. The memory seems fine, could be CPU memory controller (but I doubt it), motherboard is possible, PSU could be at fault but all rails were verified, so I am truely at a loss. Stats are as follows. Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

ASUS A8R32-MVP
    Opteron 170
    G.SKILL 2x1GB Extreme Series HZ DDR500
    Sapphire X1900XTX | X-fi Extreme Music
    74GB WD Raptor | 320GB WD SATA II
    Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Seasonic S12 600W PSU

What sucks is I don't have another mobo/cpu/psu that I would be able to swap out and test each component, so I may have to take it to a local shop for diagnosis, which I'd like to avoid due to cost.

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I'd have to lean towards the PSU, don't ask me why though. :)

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

How cold is your room?

4. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

colder now since it is cooling off outside, but this happens even when it is warm, just not as frequently.