Computer Wont Boot into Windows

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ADyingDevotion, Nov 17, 2003.

1. ADyingDevotion

ADyingDevotion New Member

Well just as the subject sais I cant get into windows. I built this computer about 4 months ago havent had a problem yet now windows decides to be shit. Ok here is what happens I have Win XP Pro btw. I boot the comp it boots up fine I get to the windows XP Pro screen all is good then instead of going to a desktop it gives me a blue screen saying the following:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SYSTEM
    or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Ok I really need to get this comp back up and running because my huge English paper is on it :( So anyone that could help your my hero lol. Do I need to get the file off of a different comp and reload it on this one? if so how? I am not really smart on computers but I know some stuff. Anyways thanks in advance guys/girls.

2. ADyingDevotion

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I'm not sure how to fix it, but you might try to boot into safe mode so that you can copy your english paper onto a floppy.

4. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

while it's starting, after the POST process (after bios) press F8, F8, F8, etc until you get a menu..choose safe mode and copy file, if that dosent work command prompt mode

I am HOPING you know how to use dos, and can copy a file to a disk

keep in mind in DOS filenames are max 8 (+3 for extention) .. so if a file is called
    'this file to show you.doc'
    it will actually be called
    'thisfi~1.doc'..

just thought i'd point that out, same with folders
    ---------

and if that dosent work, which I highly doubt it, pull out the drive, and throw it in another computer (friends, or whatever) and copy the file that way...

5. ADyingDevotion

When trying to boot into safe mode and command prompt mode I get the same thing I will try using a boot disk and manually getting the file still have to reformat though :( I wonder what caused the problem. Virus maybe?

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

On the safe mode menu should have been an option of "last known good configuration" - you should try that as well. The registry is backed up for this reason.

7. carlin

carlin Guest

take the hard drive out... put it into another computer as a slave... leech the file... :)

8. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

could be but dont format just yet, take it out and put it in another machine as ^^ suggested and copy the important files so you dont lose them, then format