computer won't boot in xp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kendan, Feb 11, 2007.

1. kendan

kendan New Member

Ok, I have a problem. I installed nero on my computer and it said I needed to restart my computer for the changes to take effect. So I restarted and when the the xp screen was coming up with the loading bars it went away real fast, I thought this was strange because usually it takes a while. So the screen is sitting there blank for almost 30 minutes, I didn't know what to do so I turned it off then turned it back on. Now it says that it didn't shut down properly and maybe a program that was recently installed could have caused this. It give me the options of booting in safe mode with command prompt or networking and I cannot boot it in any of them. It won't let me start it normally either, nor will it let me start it since the last good configuration.
    So now I get on my g/f's computer and read up on what I could do. I just get frustrated and give and decided to reinstall windows. I format the partition and install windows again, everything goes smoothly until I get to the windows loading screen and it goes blank again. What the hell could the problem be? I'm really lost here and this is aggravating.

edit: and when I try to boot in safe mod it goes through a list of items in partion\windows\system32\drivers then it stops.

2. kendan

kendan New Member

ok, update: I can go into safe mode fine now after waiting for 20 minutes on that sys 32 screen, but there are no programs because it's a fresh install of windows. The question I have is, could the registry be messed up from that install of nero even after the format and reinstall of win xp?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Uninstalling Nero would be a good next move. Looks like it stepped on an existing hardware driver and Windows doesn't know what to do with it now.

4. kendan

kendan New Member

well I don't know how to uninstall nero. I assumed that since I formatted the entire drive and reinstalled windows the problem would be gone, but it's not.

5. deusexaethera

What...you thought I read the whole post? Pshaw.

(grins sheepishly)

Run the standard tests:

1. Unplug everything, inside and outside, except for the video card, the hard drive, the keyboard, and the mouse.

2. Plug parts in again, one at a time, rebooting between each, until they're all in or you run into the blackscreen problem again.

3. Pull out all but one RAM stick and test each stick separately. If they all work individually, try them in pairs and then all at once.

6. kendan

kendan New Member

once again I feel like an idiot. Thank you for your help. I just unplugged my external drive and it works fine I plugged it back in and it is working. Thank you.

7. deusexaethera

Aw snap, that's right, I completely forgot to mention that USB drives can sometimes make Windows hang, if it's scanning the contents of the drive at the same time that it resets the USB controller.