Computer with a TV tuner

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GiantRutgersFan, Apr 12, 2007.

1. I got a computer with a Pinnacle Wintv TV tuner installed. Its like 1.7 gigs athlon, 512 or 1024 ram (slips my mind), radeon 9000 graphics card, and like 120 gigs hard drive space.

I also have a 19 inch LCD monitor.

I havent used this computer in a long time, and I was wondering if theres some way that I can get good quality looking TV on there?

a couple years ago I downloaded a few TV programs and they all sucked, as did the one that came with the TV tuner.

Is there something like Windows MEdia Center that I can get (pref free, but if not let me know anyways). I am talking a quality comparable to regular TV (because I am contemplating using this as my regular TV for my bedroom to save space)

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WinTV is shitty. If you get a decent TV tuner (such as the NVTV) then you get good quality.

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

what would you consider to be good?

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Are you sure the problem was with the tuner program and not the cable(s)?

At one time I had to run a length of coax from a cable box in one room to the PC with the tuner card in another. The quality wasn't all that great and I thought the reason for the poor quality was the compression.
    Now the box and PC are in the same room, connected via A/V cables and the quality is great, just as good as the watching the box on the TV itself. I also tried it with a fresh coax cable that is more up-to-date and it still looked perfect.
    And I use the same software for the capture in all cases.

So check your cable(s).

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yea, could be the coax cable.

I used to have a WinTV card and it always had a good picture.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member