Computer WILL NOT boot

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by giz, Jan 4, 2007.

1. giz

giz Active Member

I just finished putting togeth a new computer. Core 2 Duo e6400 and MSI P965 Platinum mobo.

I go to turn it on, and it begins to start up but resets itself after about 4 seconds. Then it tries to start up again.

When it resets, all the fans, leds, etc turn off. They then turn back on when it tries to start up again.

I have never reached the bios.

Somebody is having the *exact* same problem I am having here. I tried the suggested troubleshooting (resetting cmos, taking it down to bares bones) and still have the same problem.

I really hope somebody here can help. I just don't know what to do anymore.

2. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

just a stab in the dark, but it sounds like a processor/heatsink issue to me. Have your tried removing the heatsink, reseating the processor with new thermal paste and putting the heatsink back on?

3. giz

giz Active Member

Yeah, I tried that once. I posted this in the main forum and we decided my motherboard is most likely dead.

4. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I was going to suggest re-pasting and seating the CPU. Then I was going to say mobo. Looks like its time to return the mobo, it is not that uncommon to get one that is faulty.

5. giz

giz Active Member

That's exactly what I did. Ordered a new one, with different chipset last night. Going from the P965 to 650i chipset.