computer virus infection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mixwell, Sep 8, 2004.

1. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

Just a few days ago my computer was infected with a computer virus that won't seem to go away. I used my AVG virus scanner but the virus would still come back up even right after it said it got rid of it. I was told AVG was one of the best out there, but even it could not get rid of it.

So what I'm thinking of doing now is computer erasing my whole HD. I've reformated 2 of my drives, but don't seem to know how to reformat my main drive which holds my OS on. Says something that a program is running (obviously windows xp I'm guessing) and that I need to turn it off before it can reformat it. So is there another way I can erase everything on my HD so I can do a fresh reinstallment of windows XP?

Or could anyone recommend a better virus scanner that I can either download or buy from the stores if needed? I just need a really good one that will always get rid of any virus my computer may get and get rid of it for good. Not see it pop up notification telling me to run my virus scan because it found the exact same virus.

thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

which virus is it?

3. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

This is important. If you can get the definition of the virus, then someone here can probably point you to the right place to get directions on completely removing the virus.

Try out a few of the other listed scanners on the sticky thread up at the top, especially Kaspersky. They might be able to do a better job at getting rid of the virus.

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

5. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

Kaspersky Anti-Virus

As for formatting & starting over... From the sound of things, you're trying to format within windows. So it's my best guess, you've never done this before. If that's the case, you should have someone you know, show you at least once.

If not, try it yourself, as it's really simple. Put your Windows CD into your CD-Rom Drive. Let it boot from the CD. Now, if you're using Windows XP, simple tell it to do a full install & also have it format the disk for you. I'd recommend a full NTFS format.

If you're still using Windows 98, 98SE, or ME (you should think about trying xp), boot from the CD, then exit the setup program into DOS. Type Format C: and then reboot. Boot from the CD & do a full install.

6. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

thanks all of you guys for responding. I actually just got done reformatting everything and it was easier than I expected it to be. It's just reinstalling everything that's taking a bit of time.

as for what virus it was. I'm not exactly sure. I did find 2 of the files and deleted them. It was something as simple as a file called "b" or "P".

I don't really trust AVG as a good virus scanner anymore and will try looking into the ones you guys have recommended.

7. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

for trendmicro, is it possible to download a free version of it? or can you only scan your computer by going to the website?

8. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

There's a downloadable version, but it's only available for purchase. Well, kind of.

9. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

If you are wlling to pay, try using the 30 demo of Kaspersky Anti-Virus. This program makes Norton, McAfee, and many others look like cheap toys. It also doesn't use much system power.

10. kev-89t

kev-89t OT Supporter

Does a pop up keep showing up that a viruse is found, and then it says that it's in your system restore or something, because that happens with AVG it means that your cpu created a restore point with the viruse, all you have to do is turn off the restore points, that deletes them all, and then turn them back on. I don't know if this is what is happening, but that's what happened to me a few times.

11. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox