Computer turns on, then off, then on

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tenny, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

Alright so I upgraded my computer today.

Whats new:
    Abit IP35
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    OCZ "Reaper" DDR2 800 4-4-4-15

So when I first started it up, it turned on for roughly 3-5 seconds, then turned off for 3-5 seconds, then turned on again, and ran. It POST'd, got into Windows Setup, but stalled on Loading windows executables.

So I was like wtf. I turned it off broke the system down again and just double checked all the cables, everything was fine, one cord was kinda tight, so I added another cord to make the connection easier.

Turned the computer on again, and once again it turned off for 3-5 seconds, then it turned on again, and got stuck at the same point. At this point I throw in Ubuntu 7.04 to try loading that to make sure it's not the XP cd or something, and I see Memtest on it, so wtf might as well memtest it.

Errors errors errors. It had found 38 hours within the first 3 seconds. So I'm like wtf, so I am ready to take the ram back, but then I was like wtf I might as well try the other ram bank, and I kinda felt like the ram wasn't in all the way on one of the sticks, but I moved it to the other bank anyways.

I turn the computer on again, and once again on, then off, then on again. I figured I'd try Memtest again, and here I am 15 minutes in, and already passed once, and everything is fine. It's still running I figure I'll give it a full hour to run.

The question now is why is it still doing the on / off / on? I've built dozens of computers, and never once seen or heard of anything like this. I've heard of on / off / on / off / etc.
    :sadwavey:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

move them back to the orig slots. Still erroring? If not, could have not been seated properly. If you have problems, I would return the mobo and ram (for good measure).

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

also, keep in mind that abit boards are the MOST picky. Your settings must be perfect for them to work stable.

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

5. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

oo Nice find, I'm about to switch it into the other bank. If it errors then I'll return them both... gotta love frys.. it's like renting :)

6. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

Still having mem problems, switched it to the other bank again (the banks that were working.) and having errors on this bank now... taking both back now ... :(

7. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

They were out of mobo's :(, had to return all of it... oh well just wasn't my time.. I'll wait for the X38 then :)

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

just so you know,... most x38s will carry a premium price tag.
    Gigabyte's and Asus's X38s costs around $370+ each.