computer to dvr set up

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Ripper, May 13, 2008.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Hey every one, recently Ive been diving into more and more projects for other people and for myself to get more hands on experience in the it field. Right now im really getting into diy dvr set ups.

My first set up I used an old pentium 3 computer and upgraded the ram to 1 gig and put in a bigger hd for more video storage time. I put in the haupauge video card and installed Ubuntu and mythtv. Ive set everything up and everything works great. Works just as good as when I had tivo and I have alot more functions.

I told a freind of mine about the set up and he bassically called me a lier and said Im not running a pentium 3 blah blah blah. Im not entirely sure how the Haupauge card works but wanted to get some more info on it.

I know the card does some of the encoding so it takes stress off of the processor. I explained that to my freind and he said thats not possible blah blah blah. Can any one break it down for me?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what pentium III chip? Because something like a 550MHz is NOT gonna keep up for decent quality recording. A 1.2GHz Tualatin or maybe a 1 GHz Coppermine can handle SD recording (BARELY) but it's getting seriously over-worked, and I wouldn't trust it for DVR operation.

3. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

1.4 ghz

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're near the bottom end for SD DVR purposes.

5. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

That would be because you must have a hardware encoding tv tuner. There are really 2 tpyes, those that are software based that you computer wouldn't be able to use and still have a decent quality and those that are hardware basted, like yours. Easiest way to tell is just to look the system requirements. If it only requires a PIII 1.X MHz or so then its probably hardware, while if it requires a P4 2.X MHz then it will be software. I think HD quality pretty much requires 2+GHz though for even hardware based cards... not sure (I don't get HD so never really looked into it).

The Hauppauge PVR350 (click) is an example of a good hardware card. System requirements are only for a PII 600MHz Win98SE system. Analog only though.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not true, because the Hauppage HVR products are hardware-based and require a minimum 2.2GHz P4 machine.

7. dissonance

Who said HVR specifically. And they require a minimum of 2.2 for ATSC Digital TV only, for cable TV it is 1.0GHz.
    http://www.hauppage.com/site/products/data_hvr1600.html

Hauppage PVR 350 only requires a P1 733MHz
    http://www.hauppage.com/site/products/data_pvr350.html
    EDIT: And yes I see that the requirement I have here it different than the one above... one above was taken from newegg's specs while this is from hauppage.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  8. dissonance

And hell, even with analog going away, the Hauppage PVR "Includes an IR blaster to change the channel on your satellite or cable TV set top box" so it would change the channel on the converter box itself anyway... no need to upgrade the computer...

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

and then you get shitty quality.

10. dissonance

Its just SD quality which isn't shitty IMHO.

Arguing aside (getting boring)...
    OP you have a hardware based tv tuner that is recording in SD. If you want it still be able to continue recording after the switch to all digital broadcasting you will need to get a convert box or cable box. In order for the tv tuner to still be able to control the station it records itself, you need one with such a capability. Otherwise you will have to set the station yourself.

Or, if you want HD quality then you need to upgrade the dvr computer with something that can handle HD digital recording.... which would be required to watch the HD recording as well. Cyberlink has a list of CPUs they recommend for watching HD on their site somewhere.