Computer, tell me where to drive...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Knucklehead, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

In general, how do you all feel about GPS systems? I never considered them with the in-dash models because of $$... but the aftermarket ones are pretty cheap now, anyone have one and care to share you hiakus of love for them?

I am looking for an all in one unit and came across TomTom GO units that looks pretty cool. I don't want anything for a PDA, just all in one and portable. :wiggle:

2. Smahatma

Smahatma Bitch-Kumar OT Supporter

i have tomtom5 on my pda phone -- i actually use it way more to look up the address and/or phone number of a place rather than turn-by-turn gps guided navigation, since I already know the city half decently

3. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Have you ever seen or tried out the GO units? I didn't know it had all that information in it. I thought it was just directions? That must be the POI stuff, right? What exactly are those?

4. Smahatma

GO is basically the exact same as my tomtom5 for pocketpc, and yea that information comes via the POI's.

There is a 'browse map' mode where itll show you a map [usually centered around your 'home' location or gps position]. Then you click on the 'find' button and you can input address, gps position, or browse for POI's by category or name of a specific place. Additionally, you can also do this from the normal guidanance mode, and see turn by turn directions to it, for example if you know the general location but not exactly how to get there once you are in the vicinity. There is also a button specifically for getting the phone numbers of POI's, and it will also show phone numbers of POI's in 'map mode'. These features are useful enough that I don't even bother using the gps receiver most of the time.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  5. Smahatma

[​IMG]
    home screen
    [​IMG]
    tap on screen to get menu
    [​IMG]
    browse map
    [​IMG]
    map
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    if you want, you can choose some poi categories to display
    [​IMG]
    poi's on map
    [​IMG]
    click on any to show name and phone number
    [​IMG]
    find a POI
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    shows you a listing of places closest to you by position
    [​IMG]
    or closest on your route
    [​IMG]
    find a specific place
    [​IMG]
    displayed with other POI's
    [​IMG]
    or clean map without any POI's

You can also do it via the normal turn by turn navi mode

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

I feel they are good, for right now. Like computers, they will only get better and more integrated with time. Soon enough, all our devices; from cell phones to cars to gameboys to homes will be GPS-equipped and less costly. In the not-too-distant future, I think it would be even possible to use GPS like an instant messaging medium; see where our friends are, and if they are avalible to meet up with.

But like computers, they will have downfalls. Like websites, I think ads will eventually get incorparated, and stalking could be possible. We are definately have to get more computer-wise when the time comes. All in all, it might not be the wisest investment now, since GPS has yet to reach it's potential. If you are really someone who needs it, or wants to be flashy, go ahead. There are cost effective-solutions, such as TomTom (only $100 total?), which could be good. But for sure, hold out.

Microsoft is incorporating GPS in all their phones by... 2007? Something. So this shift into GPS is coming fast. It would be good to become aware of what it does now, because the next phone you get might be even better than the GPS device in your car right now...

7. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Thanx for all those pictures Smahatma, really helpful. I never knew there was so much in them...I'LL NEVER GO HUNGRY AGAIN!!!! heh.

How do you find that TomTom compares to other GPS companies? The maps look really great and that view is awesome.

I am not concerned about the GPS unit possibly being used for tracking. GPS is being used in several devices already and I am sure there would be more fuss if it was of real concern. I don't believe the units have to send info, only receive.

8. micks

micks the snausage wallet OT Supporter

my g&g used to have a mercedes benz ml55 SUV that had a built in navigation system.. it sucked real bad because their "shortest route" was in fact the longest route. I forgot what program it used though.

9. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

That is part of the thing. The in-dash units are really expensive and some of them, based on DVDs I take it are a pain to update and such. So this TomTom unit sounds like an awesome alternative for being able to hook up to your computer for updates and take from car to car.