Computer techs: Swapped out mobo's, now have a bit of a problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IDAFC21, Aug 28, 2003.

1. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

I just recently bought a new motherboard and processor to replace my old crappy one, and i swapped everything out today and got it all back together, but when I boot it up now, i have a bit of a problem. It boots up fine into the bios and whatnot, recognizes everything, but when it gets to windows, i get the windows is now starting screen or whatever, and as soon as it actually gets TO windows, i get a blue screen of crap for a split second and the computer just resets itself. Anyone know what this is about? Could this possibly be a crappy security feature of windows xp pro (which im running on my hard drive) since it was all configured for my old motherboard? I tried using an old hard drive i had w/ windows 98 on it and it booted up into windows fine (except for it wanting all the drivers and crap for all my stuff) but at least it booted to windows. Ive got an extra 20 gig drive lyin around. If i format that, install a fresh copy of xp pro on it configured to the new motherboard, would i be able to hook my old drive as a slave and grab all my crap off of it? Or anyone have any suggestions? please? :big grin:

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:dunno: I'm interested to hear the answer to this too... I'd been wondering whether when you upgrade a processor/mobo you need to reinstall your OS (not that I'm planning to, just curious).

3. MP

MP New Member

in my opinion you should always install a fresh copy of when you install a new mobo. So many conflicts with drivers it's not even funny. If you really want to do it, go through and uninstall every single driver (i mean every single one) and then plug it into the new mobo/cpu. WIndows will automatically install all the new stuff and you might get away with leaving the OS as is.

4. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

well that was pretty much the problem, since the old hard drive was configured for the old motherboard it doesnt work if you just try to plug it into to a new mobo. i plugged in the old 20 gig i had, formatted and installed xp, then loaded my other drive as a slave and grabbed whatever i could off of it and threw it on the 20 gig. now im gonna try to reinstall xp on my old drive, cuz its a 60 gig drive, but first im gonna see what happens if i just reinstall xp and keep my old files..im not really sure what files it does or doesnt keep but if i can get away w/ not reformatting the whole drive it might save me some time. it probably just keeps all your "my documents stuff" which ive already backed up to the 20 gig drive...i'll have to reinstall everything else, but thats alright, didnt have much on it anyways, ive been keeping it light cuz i knew id be upgrading my motherboard and would probably have to reformat anyways (i hate being right, haha) the only important stuff i need is already in my documents so its all good. i'll have to redownload a few programs, which is gonna be a pain since im on dialup, but its no biggy

5. MP

MP New Member

uhhmm, okie dokie

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

easy fix!

do a recover (not cmd recover, an actual repair)! only problem is that u have to reinstall software...

btw i didnt read it at all. i saw mobo change, xp, BSOD....

7. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

the operating system had your old drivers for the old motherboard, now you put in a new board and its trying to talk to your say IDE channels with the wrong drivers.

8. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

yeah, someone told me i might be able to boot it up in safe mode and uninstall the drivers and whatnot...but its a little late for that, i already formatted and reinstalled xp :) didnt have much on it before anyways and anything i really needed i had backed up anyways