Computer stopped working again!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LifeBurnsFaster, May 25, 2006.

1. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

My computer will power up, all the fans come on(high), a led on the mobo lights up(green) and im pretty sure the HD is working correctly(it's only a month old).

But, nothing comes up on my monitor.

I dont think it's the video card but, i suppose it could be. Is there anyway to tell whats broken/malfunctioning?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sounds like mobo. Start swapping parts.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Does the hard drive start grinding away like it's booting up Windows? If so, then start by pulling out your video card and plugging it back in just to make sure it's plugged into its slot properly. And check your monitor on another computer to make sure it's working right, too. If those two checks don't reveal the problem, then start swapping parts like Jolly said.

4. LifeBurnsFaster

pretty sure the hard drive is working fine

the wierd thing is the fans run absurdly fast and dont slow down. normally they would slow way down after being on for a few seconds.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

most likely mobo.

6. deusexaethera

Mm, yeah. If you've got a BIOS-controlled fan (speeds up and slows down according to CPU temperature or CPU usage) and it's not adjusting the fan speed at all, then either your BIOS is dead or your whole motherboard is dead.

Try two more things:

1. Make sure you didn't somehow change the 110v/220v switch on your power supply, if you have that switch at all.

2. Find and flip the jumper switch on your motherboard that clears the CMOS, in case the settings therein have gotten corrupted. The jumper switch is usually Jumper #1, and it sometimes has a label like "CLR_CMOS" or "CLR_RTC" next to it. Unplug the computer and connect that jumper switch for about 30 seconds, then disconnect it, plug back in, and try booting up. Sometimes the CMOS just needs to be wiped, especially if that little battery on the motherboard is dead.

7. LifeBurnsFaster

The fan did speed up and slow down according to the CPU temp

don't think i could have changed the volt switch but ill check it as well as try the jumper switch you described

if my mobo is done for, what should i do to get a computer running again? new mobo? :hsd:

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

interesting that what I've said from the beginning is panning out to be accurate, and all deusexaethera does is smoke-n-mirrors and trys to ride on my advice. I'm making a note of this.

I would buy a new mobo if you can. Locally would be best -- that way you can return it if neccessary. What CPU, memory, and video card do you have? And if possible, what is your current mobo? I can recommend a replacement mobo.

9. LifeBurnsFaster

if i have to get a new mobo, id rather get something better that wont crap out on me(even if i have to get a new processor)

its an intel pentium 4 HT

ddr 400(PC 3200) Ram

and a radeon x300 vid card

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

s478 or LGA775?

pci-e?

11. deusexaethera

I take it clearing the CMOS didn't help, huh? Too bad. It was worth a try, since clearing the CMOS is free and replacing the motherboard is not.

12. LifeBurnsFaster

i couldnt find any jumpers :hs:

is it possible there aren't any

LGA775

pci e - yes

thanks for helping guys

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

14. deusexaethera

Ehh...I guess it's possible, but I've never seen a computer without a Clear CMOS jumper. It's just one of those things you have to do sometimes, esp. if you're overclocking and you pick BIOS settings that keep your computer from booting up.

You can also clear the CMOS by powering down, unplugging, and popping out the battery on the motherboard. It has the same effect as switching the jumper. Leave it sit for about 30 seconds, then put the battery back in, plug in, and power up. If you have a wood desk, it helps to knock on it a couple of times.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

removing the battery is a bad idea -- sometimes resulting in corrupt cmos settings. The clear cmos jumper is the proper way -- but that is not likely to solve this problem.

16. deusexaethera

I've done it both ways, to proper effect. Yes, it's not as safe, which is why I suggested the jumper approach first.

Besides...you've been telling him to replace the motherboard the whole time, so who gives a damn if popping the battery out might corrupt an already dead or death-sentenced BIOS?

17. LifeBurnsFaster

i tried popping the battery out and putting it back in, but it didnt fix the problem

im just going to get a new mobo and processor and hope its not shit quality like what i had or buy an apple :hs: im tired of pc's crapping out on me

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

intel cpu and genuine-intel mobo... best quality you'll find. Heck, that's even what Apple uses, now.