Computer startup help :wtc:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MP, Feb 4, 2003.

1. MP

MP New Member

here's the deal.

My computer was working just fine for a while now but i have to give some lame comp assembly demo so I powered down, unplugged power, and all peripherals. I then took out my RAM, cd-rom, HD, and Video card.

About 2 min later i put everything back in the same way. I checked all IDE cables/power cables etc etc. Everything is in the correct place.

Now when i plugged everything back in and power up the comp turns on but doesn't do POST. Not even a beep. My fans turn on, HD spools up but it doesn't do POST.

any help would be great :(

2. MP

MP New Member

when i take out the RAM stick the mobo does beep. I dunno if that's any help...but yeah.

3. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Demonstration a complete and utter failure.

That aside, I think the embarrassment you've endured is enough and don't need anymore. It's safe to assume you've damaged something in the process of putting it back. Did you ground yourself before and after you did this ? Try just the ram, cpu and nothing else. Get a spare stick by the side incase it doesn't work.

Did you also take the CPU out? Try one thing at a time, you'll pin point what it is. And if you haven't already done so, try reseating them again.

4. MP

MP New Member

I wasn't actually doing the demo...I wanted to do it at home first to make sure it worked properly. Thank god i did because i WOULD have been emarrased as funk.

I did not take out the CPU

I'll try just the ram and CPU thing

5. MP

MP New Member

just CPU and ram = Fans turn on, HD and cdrom spool up, but no post

just cpu = long beep

cpu, ram & vid = same as when i have just the cpu and ram installed

6. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest