Computer speakers: Creative Labs Inspire 5300 or Altec lansing 251 *pics*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by terminator1010, Dec 6, 2002.

1. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

I am deciding on a 5.1 computer speaker system. I have narrowed it down to the Creative Inspire 5300 or Altec lansing 251. [​IMG]
    Or:
    [​IMG]
    I can get both for about the same price. Which do you think would be better? They would be used mainly for games and mp3s.

2. 04

04 Guest

A couple of questions:

1. What is the budget?

2. What about those models made you decide to choose them?

3. Do you want sound quality or loudness?

3. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

Why do you say that you want a 5.1 system if you're only going to be using it for music and games? Music is obviously not recorded in 5.1, but some games can be played through 5.1 -- you realize the only benefit of having the 5.1 setup would be for a few games, correct?

If I were you I would just get a decent 2.1 system. If you watch a lot of DVDs on your computer I would maybe consider the 5.1. But other than that, the center channel is useless IMHO.

Another option would be to get a nice 4.1 setup for a little extra money and place all 4 speakers up front in Stereo like I do. The extra 2 speakers will give you a little more sound. Also, 4.1 could fill your desire to have sound from all around, if that's what you want. But there really isn't a need for a center channel on a PC system if you ask me.

:dunno:

4. 04

04 Guest

One downside, however to running all 4 speakers up front is that it will affect the imaging and frequency response a bit. depedning on the placement it will vary. So I wouldnt do that unless you need more output than the 2.1 can do.

5. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

Care to elaborate? :) Like I said I'm doing that 4.1 in stereo up front setup, so I'd really be interested in hearing this. Completly respecting your opinion. :big grin:

6. 04

04 Guest

Sure. What exactly do you want to know? The problem with adding 2 sets is that at certain frequencies their will be peaks and valleys in the response of your loudspeaker. 2 pairs of speakers are not going to be able to mantain as good of a phase relationship, because there will be frequencies where their is considerable cancellation.

I am not saying NOT to do what you are doing, just know that their are consequences to doing so. Just like their are consequences in only using 1 pair of speakers, that being you will probably have a bit less output.

So you have to decide which scenario fits you best...

I would actually ask Soundguy about this, the systems he designs have to use multiple sets of loudspeakers, ask him about how he overcomes the phase issues.

7. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

I watch a few movies, but I mainly want them for games such as doom3 which is coming out next year. I actually purchased a different set of speakers off ebay: Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500. they were $102. Most games nowadays have eax support.

8. 04

04 Guest

Well, if you are going for doom 3, then I would definatly reccomend getting a 5.1 set, because it will support 5.1 audio.

9. kumar_a

kumar_a Well-Known Member

I am clueless when it comes to speakers but you can find the Logitech Z560s for around 130.