computer shutting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pimpadee, Jun 14, 2005.

1. pimpadee

pimpadee New Member

computer shutting down

I have a weird problem with my computer it works fine when I‘m online or running basic programs. When I start to play games the computer will work for about 5 minutes then make a buzzing sound then shut off. I have downloaded a program to see the CPU temperature and it don’t get above 74 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s a custom built pc that a friend of mine did that has a 64 processor an ati video card I think a 9800 and around a gig of ram. The guy who built it is in iraq right now and I have no idea what the problem could be.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Are you sure it's not 74 C??

3. pimpadee

pimpadee New Member

do you mean the graphics card?

i looked at system information and it says "radeon 9500 pro/ 9700". i know nothing about computers so i might be alittle slow

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The CPU Temp...

I was asking if you are sure it is 74 F... and not 74 C...

If it is 74 C, that's about 165 F and very hot...

5. pimpadee

pimpadee New Member

no its 74f

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there is no fucking way in hell that your cpu is running at room temperature.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Really bad temp sensor?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

or he's reading the wrong sensor...

74 degrees is even a little low (although at least believable) for the ambient temp sensor.

9. pimpadee

pimpadee New Member

I downloaded another program and it states the following right before my computer turns off. I don't know much about computers so kind of try to stay with me if you would\

sensor1: 77f
    sensor2: 176f
    sensor3:168f
    fan speed: 3479rpm

[font=&quot]. I think those temperatures are a little high. What could be the problem with it? I have 2 fans on the mother board one is flashy with led's about a 1.5 inches and the other is plain looking and about 2 inches. The case has one fan on the side, one on the top, two on the rear, and one on the front.[/font]

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sensor1 is likely your ambient, which is fine. It should be within 10 degrees of room temp, which it probably is.

seonsor2 is likely your CPU. I always work in Celcius, and a quick conversions shows me that is 80 degrees C. Which is WAAAAYYYY too hot.

sesor3 is likely your northbridge. Again, I work in Celcius, so that is 75.6 Degrees C. WAAAAYYYY too hot.

Now, it is often common for an improperly-installed heatsink to be the culprit. However, this would only affect CPU temps. Since it appears that your northbridge is also affected, we may have other issues. The other possibility is that it has two sensors for the cpu (one on-die, and one on-mobo) But this is not likely.

Is your system Intel or AMD? Since you are not qualified to repair this, I suggest you take it to someone who knows what they're doing (not any of your friends) and have them remove the heatsink, properly clean the die and heatsink, use high-quality thermal paste, and re-install. You can do this for the northbridge as well. If this lowers your temps, then congrats. If it doesn't (more likely) then you need to look elsewhere for the culprit. Due to the hot NB, I'd lean towards mobo.

11. pimpadee

pimpadee New Member

thanks alot, the system is an amd 64bit.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

heh, yea that's WAAAAYYYYY too hot. An AMD64 should be down in the low 30's.