computer shutting down by itself... overheating...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 94cc0rd, Sep 1, 2006.

1. 94cc0rd

94cc0rd New Member

hey. my computer has recently been shutting down by itself... i'll be browsing a website or something and it will just completely turn off...

now i went on the bios and checked the temperatures and the cpu temperature is at 150*F which is approx. 65*F. i know this is pretty high... so will getting a new fan/heatsink fix this problem?

is my cpu dying? will i be ok if i just get more fans or new fans, or heatsink?

for more info, i've never really left my computer on for prolong periods of time... but recently i've been downloading some big files and needed to leave it on for 3-5 days... it's started shutting down by itself after the first 5 day stretch.

the computer has an asus a7n8x motherboard, with amd 2400xp cpu, 1gb of ram, 80gb hd, geforce 4 ti4800se video card...

thanks for any help in advance..

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

MIne was doing the same thing only it was when I was encoding video. My temps would get high and then my pc would die.
    Just to make sure, take off your side panel and put a box fan (or desk fan, whatever) and blow it right on the processor. If your temps drop, which they should, and it doesn't crash on you then you can bet it's the heatsink/fan or maybe the thermal compound needs to be replaced, etc.
    If it still crashes then you have another problem. Maybe power supply???

I bought a highly rated hs/fan about 6 months ago and it as ~$50 - $60 or so. Can't remeber which one. i'll google it and see if I can find it.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My Athlon XP 3000 idles at 71C and maxxes out at 83C. Heat is not your problem. Go into your BIOS and make sure that the overheat control is either turned off, or set to the highest possible temperature setting. Your CPU will be fine with this -- it will still turn itself off if it gets above 95C. If it still shuts off, your power supply is probably shot.

Athlon XPs run hot, there's no two ways about it.

Leaving the side off your case can actually increase temperatures, because there will no longer be a smooth flow of air from the intake vents to the exhaust vents. Then again, if there isn't a smooth flow of air inside the case to begin with, then there's nothing to lose.

4. 94cc0rd

94cc0rd New Member

my side case cover has a fan in it but it is off for now.

is it hard to install a new heatsink? and does it replace my existing heatsink or does it add onto it?

and i'll definately try putting a fan next to my computer...

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Not really hard to do but sometimes the clips (depending on what kind) are a bit of a pain. And you don't want to press down too hard for fear of cracking the board. If you get a new one get some AS5 while you are at it.

Here is my fan. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223

6. 94cc0rd

94cc0rd New Member

What's AS5? I got recommendations for the Termaltake Big Typhoon heatsink...

also, I had my regular fan pointed directly into my case for about 30 minutes now and the temperatures haven't gone down...

7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Arctic SIlver 5. It goes in between the processor and the Heat sink.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/

If you took your side case off and put a big (10" at least) fan blowing directly into the side and your temps did not drop at all then there may be something else going on to make it overheat. Maybe it's a power supply problem?????????

8. 94cc0rd

94cc0rd New Member

can the power supply cause the computer to just shut down by itself?

and are the temperatures i'm getting ok right now? 58-61*C under slight load..