Computer Shutting Down At Random Times

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Nov 8, 2004.

1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

past few days my computer would just shut down and when i press the power button it doesnt turn on, i unplug everything and try to see if everything is plugged inside properly, then plug in everything back and it turns on...... i dont understand whats wrong with the computer, maybe the power supply got messed up? or what?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

try a new psu to verify. If it still does it, try re-installing windows (on a spare drive if you have it, so you don't lose your data if that's not the problem)

worst-case scenario is bad mobo, cpu, or memory.

3. DemisE

DemisE Active Member

Before you go out and buy new stuff. Make sure your MoBo is properly grounded and that the case switch cables are properly seated.

4. SnOw

SnOw Active Member

my old computer would do that... the psu went bad and you had to completely unplug it before you could turn it back on...

5. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

My old pc did that for a while, then it just mysteriously stopped and stays up forever :confused:

6. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

ive seen this both with faulty psupplies, as well as cooling problems on the CPU, make sure your fan is fixed correctly, then try another power supply

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

May be a short somewhere in your computer. Make sure all of your components are grounded correctly. Then make sure that your jumper settings are correct for your PWR switch.

8. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

hmmmm, it could be a software issue, what you should do is Go into the BIOS (Tap DEL while your system is booting up) and let the system just run in there, if the system shuts down you'll know for a fact that it's a hardware issue and you can go from there.