computer shuts off everynight at same time

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 00soul, Jul 8, 2004.

1. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

is it possible on a windows xp home computer to make it shut off automatically at a certain time?

like say i fall asleep or am too lazy to turn the computer off, how can i make it turn itself off at a specific time?

2. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

i don't think there is unless a custom batch file was made but i'm not sure.

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I dont think it would be too hard to write a small VB app to do it if there isnt a prog out there that already does it. There probably is. Have you checked download.com?

4. percent

percent deluded

this does it. http://www.ashkon.com/rebootex.html but its $25. if you search google and download.com for awhile you might be able to find a free one. try stuff like "scheduled shutdown" "automatic shutdown" "computer timer" whatever.

but really i dont think its necessary to shut your computer down. Mine has been on continually for 2 years (besides rebooting and shuting it off to changes compoents and stuff). It still works fine (2.4 ghz p4, win xp). Just set you computer to "falls asleep"
    after an hour of idle time. It switches to low power mode and basically stops everything, but then starts again without boot up time (takes maybe 3 secs to wake up from sleep mode)

5. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Does XP home include the task scheduler and the shutdown command? If it does, then you have what you need already.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

schedule the shutdown command (shutdown.exe /? from a dos prompt for more info) though the task scheduler (programs/accessories/System Tools/Scheduled Tasks)

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It allows reboots, shutdowns of the local and remote computers. It will also force any running programs to close. It's pretty effective on W2K and XP, but it can get stuck *occassionaly*.