Computer Science Bachelor's - Worth the time?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ijustwantpics, Aug 26, 2004.

1. ijustwantpics

ijustwantpics New Member

Or even an AS in Computer Sience? I'm considering going back to school soon and just looking into options. Is the IT feild still flooded?

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

cs major is still required for a lot of it jobs, so it could be good. i wouldn't waste my time with an mis major, though and i would want a clear idea of what i wanted to do in the it field and start getting some experience during college (intern or something).

3. bleak

bleak Guest

There's a saying at the college I attend, "If your goal is to be a janitor, get a computer degree."

The IT field (around here, at least) is still overflowing. To illustrate the point, take me. I'm a server administrator for a large international organization and I don't even have my degree yet. In fact, when I got hired, I was a history major (and I'm still not a computer major, even now). Now, a new assistant was hired for the department a couple of weeks ago who actually has an IS degree. Know what he does? All of my drudge work (and that of almost everybody else in the department).

4. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

i work for the county as a clerk and i want to get into the IS dept but you need a bachelors degree

5. ijustwantpics

ijustwantpics New Member

Thats what I kinda figured... I'll just have to suck up to the IT dept here and see what happens. Thanks for the replys

6. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Depending on what you mean by IT field, I think it's coming to a sort of balance now. Right now there are more people leaving the tech field, so jobs are opening up and being filled by the unemployed, and it's getting to where there isn't that much of a surplus of employees.

For example, we're looking for a senior developer, but we can't find a single one that either doesn't need a visa/greencard, doesn't have contractual obligations, or doesn't want $150k ( :ugh: ) to do things. My department needs another guy on the Help Desk, however we aren't looking for someone with certifications - just someone that we can mold into what we want for not much money :o

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

It's important to note that most IT people are not computer scientists and most comptuer scientists don't aim to be IT people. And there's always a market for people who are good in their field. People who go into CS because they want to get a job and make lots of money (like people who go into any field for that reason) generally don't have the passion required to make it through and be good at it. If you actually want to be a computer scientist then do it, if you don't then go into something else.

8. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

IMHO, the best degree for anyone who wants to work for most anyplace in Corporate America is a BS in Business. There are different variants, IT, IS, Marketing, Management, etc, but it all starts with core business stuff. So, it won't necessarily limit you to the IT field. But, then again, I've known people who got the Bachelor's degree in Agriculture, who are now BANKERS. Go figure...a degree is just a degree in a lot of circumstances, I suppose.