Computer runs like a POS after installing Doom 3!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shorty420, Aug 30, 2004.

1. shorty420

shorty420 Guest

Specs First
    Althon Xp 1600+
    Asus A7V266E
    2 x 256 Kingston DDR Ram
    Leadtek Winfast Geforce 4 Ti4400 128MB
    Windows XP with SP2

My pc has been running top notch even after installing XP service pack 2. I installed Doom 3 and updated DirectX 9 drivers at the same time. Now I am getting TERRIBLE performance in ANY program. Menus do not render, I am typing about 3x as fast as my computer can keep up, video playback is ridiculously shitty, I can't surf the internet and watch a video at the same time because it brings my computer to a screeching halt. It has taken me over 10 minutes to type out this post because my pc is currently running like a dog with 3 broken legs.!!!!!!!! I already did virus scan, adaware, and checked my firewall and that is all good! I am really getting pissed off and dont want to uninstall Doom3 to fidn out that is not the underlying cause.

2. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Let's see. The 1600 Athlon is only link 1.2ghz, right? Do you possibly need more RAM? What are the minimum system specs for Doom 3?

3. RobertY3K

RobertY3K Pentacampeão

4. shorty420

shorty420 Guest

I know Doom 3 runs like a POS but I'm more concerned about my PC just being ridiculously SLOOOOOOOOW in Windoze after I installed Doom 3. I don't have much free space on either of my drives but that's never been a problem. In fact I deleted/burned/moved around a bunch of files so that I could get it on my PC.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ditto on how much hard drive space you have free. How big is your paging file?? I only installed it to try it out on my machine and after I would exit the game, my PC would also be pretty sluggish from all the resources it took to play. Nothing a reboot in my case wouldn't fix though.

6. bleak

bleak Guest

My computer has slowed down a bit since installing Doom 3, as well.

7. maicowchoy

maicowchoy Guest

Try defraging your hard drive(s).

8. shorty420

shorty420 Guest

Defragged, AntiVirus, AdAware, even deleted about 2gig off of each drive and then defragged AGAIN! Still no change in performance. :(

9. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Does the DOOM people have a tech support line you could call to see if anyone else is having this issue?

10. Supadoggie

Supadoggie I ♥ my doggah

What I'm wondering is why would a game (that runs only when you play it) be slowing down the computer?

Have you ever thought that WinXP SP2 might be causing it? I hear stories that people have fucked up their system after installing SP2.. :dunno:

maybe it's the DirectX 9... or it could even be something else.. :dunno:

it's hard to tell but I dont understand how a game can slow your computer down even if you're not playing it. I know Doom 3 doesnt install some service that runs in the background..

11. bleak

bleak Guest

I haven't installed SP2. I suppose it could be due to DX9.0c, though...

12. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

Your video card isnt DirectX 9 compatable, I made the same mistake on my laptop. Ran like shit till I reinstalled windows. If you want to play Doom 3 your gonna have to drop some money into that rig.

13. bleak

bleak Guest

I have a GeForce FX 5900, so the video card isn't the problem.

14. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I'd pay to see Doom 3 run on a machine like that. :mamoru:

15. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

post size of hdds and space free
    we'll see if you have a problem
    im thinkin thats it
    to me it sounds like the windows drive doesn't have enough free space on it, real crazy things can happen with that
    not much way around it, but with the price per byte these days there isnt any excuse for not having 20 gigs free(specially on your windows drive)

16. shorty420

shorty420 Guest

When you have an addiction known as "hot-rodding" you tend to spend money on the project rather than the computer.

As far as DirectX9 not being compatbile with my card it most certainly IS as I had DX9 installed before Doom3.

17. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

All NVIDIA GeForce 3 and GeForce 4 cards are DX9 compatible. They are not DX9 compliant however.

Compatabile = will work with DX9
    Compliant = Designed to work with DX9

Do try to free up space if you are running under 10%. Try emptying your IE cache. You would be suprised how big that damned thing is by default.

BTW: I assume you rebooted since playing doom? I noticed on my box that Doom does not always exit gracefully, and sometimes the game process will stay running in the background with a ton of memory in its grasp.

18. shorty420

shorty420 Guest

I deleted about 10 gigs of stuff from both drives and now have over 30% free. Still having the same problems. Updated the drivers for the vid card with no change. I'm thinking a reformat is in order but I don't want to do it since I just formatted less than 3 months ago.

19. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

No, I meant exactly what I said. Those are standard industry terms.

20. cm268

cm268 Guest

More RAM, Better video card (256MB), and processing power.

21. SpectreMatrix

SpectreMatrix New Member

Burn it and buy a new comp. :)

22. Mike_the_Tank

Mike_the_Tank OT Supporter

i don't think your videocard is the issue. it doesn't make sense that all these 2-d tasks would all of a sudden run like crap. my guess, is that you started playing doom 3 and you overheated one of the components in your system.

23. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

I got more performance out of my rig by setting Virtual mem to a max of 4gig and a minimum of 2gig.

Helps squeeze a few more FPS out of graphically intense game like Sims 2, Doom 3, and etc. It also dramatically decreases load times. Good stuff.

EDIT: Virtual Mem stuff always goes by how fast your HD is. If it's slow you wont get much use out of this tactic.

24. Black Light

Black Light Guest

full size pic of your avatar, stat! :eek3: :yum:

25. Black Light

Black Light Guest