computer running slow, quick question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dpakman91, Oct 13, 2004.

1. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

my computer is running damn slow lately, i've defragged, ran ad-aware and spybot, and uninstalled programs i don't use.

searching the web just comes up with so much crap and spam, can someone actually post a list or link me to a reputable place that has a good list of what people should do to speed up their computer?

2. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Should we start guessing your PC Specifications first? That'd be some vital info to this discussion.

3. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

my bad. it's a sony.

athlon 2400+
    512 ram
    80GB hard drive, with a 60GB i added into it, just has MP3's on it.
    integrated 64MB video card (i know, it sucks)

what else...i have a cable modem, it's on a network also, wired to the router. there's 1 other computer, wireless.

:dunno:

4. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

what all DO you have running? ie. what didnt you remove that is running? also, can you give a list of running background tasks, and maybe give a list of your startup programs and/or registry run keys.

5. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

i dunno the easiest way to post it all, but here is a hijackthis log:

6. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

one more quick question (before you do the following), what is your cpu utilization at? (in task manager unter performance tab)

typically (id say >80% of the time comps slow down its cuz people have too much stuff running)....

what id recommend is to right click start, explore, browse to start up folder and copy all shortcuts there to a temp folder on your desktop, then open regedit from run line (back up registry first), go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microstoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ and check all the run folders, remove any NON system related keys (ie Explorer.exe refs for example....if your not sure whats what then this might not be a safe thing to play with.....try only removing references to programs you recognize as having been installed by you personally).......remember to BACK UP REGISTRY FIRST...if things go to hell then you can restore.....

once youve removed all the extra crap from running you should *hopefully* see significant running improvement...if not then your in the <20% ....and it may be a slightly to more significantly larger problem

hope that helps

7. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

alright, my CPU seems to fluctuate between 2 and 20 percent when i just have AOL and my browser running. what does that tell you?

8. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

that your not running any CPU hogs by default....probably not a background app.....your not running kazaa like apps for awhile and then closing them?

9. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

nah, no kazaa...just MIRC, but i think that's hardly a resource hog.

about the run keys in my registry, it's a moot point anyway, there were only two things in there from programs i added, quicktime and yahoo messenger, both of which i got rid of.

10. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

And your sys is slow from startup?

In anycase, here is what i would do in your situation:

1.Trouble shoot software (kill startup and run key apps, disk cleanup, etc.) (youve done that, there is more to be done but its been a while since i was familiar with MS Operating Systems so im running low on memory cells heh)
    2. ReInstall OS over the top (wont lose what you have so long as you dont format or fdisk) (have had issues with some OSs like WindowsME needing to be reinstalled every couple months)...this is not a likely fix but might be worth a shot
    3. Start trouble shooting hardware...typically you would know if this were a problem as slowed OS would be the smallest symptom
    4. Switch to linux and never worry about problems like this heh

typically i spend a long time in #1, thats usually the biggest cause....then if that fails and im exhausted i go to #2...if thats not working hell im not opposed to low leveling my drive and starting all over, but thats me....

its kinduva tough call, oh and dont rely on spyware apps (most of them are so horribly behind that it would takes months to recognize what you are slammed with, and even then they are terrible at truly removing problems)...

not sure what to tell you beyond that....my ultimate advice is if all else fails GOTO: 4

hope this helps, and if you get it fixed post up your solution...

11. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

alright, one thing that has helped a lot so far is going through the recommended services settings on www.blackviper.com and making some changes. anyone else familiar with this site?

12. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Why is it that when I go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microstoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\ and check all the run folders" area in the regedit, it only shows maybe half of the things that are running right after I startup, that do show up when I hit ctrl/alt/del, and go to processes? For instance, I use mozilla for browsing now, but IE appears on my processes list and I didnt even open it. How can I stop those programs from running??? Thanks

13. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

If IE is running on boot and your not using it, there could be a few reasons its running, often times its spyware, for any service running seemingly "behind the scenes", do the following: right click MyComputer and click on manage, expand "Services and Applications", and select Services...now in the right hand pane you will see a list of services currently running or scheduled to run, sift through those and find the ones you want to stop (be VERY SURE of which ones your stopping, because some of them will lock up your box), once you find a service (plural if more than one) that you want to stop, right click on it and go to properties, in the properties window you should see two things of interest, one: the service status, here you will click on stop, once that has finished, go to two: "startup type", in this drop down select disabled...

this should (hopefully) effectively stop certain processes on boot up...hope that helps :)

14. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

yeah, but he gets a little pissy about his recommended configurations being intellectual property.