Computer restarting during gaming

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hennessey1013, Mar 7, 2007.

1. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

Hey guys whats up?

Lately, while playing COD 2 multiplayer my pc has been restarting. This has been mostly right when i spawn for the first time, but started doing it during a game.

Ive done some searching and Ive read about the power supply possibly, and memory. I ran memtest.exe and no errors, but im not sure how to test the power supply.

One thing to note is that it has only restarting once during browsing, and all other time during gaming online.

System includes.

asus mb
    amd 2300
    gig memory
    radeon 9600 atlantis 128 mb
    not sure what the power supply is

****edit****

Problem fixed: random restarting, eventually computer wouldnt even start up

replaced psu, all is good.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Possibly overheating, try openning the side of the case and keeping a fan running on your components. Keep in mind that the 'ole fan isn't something you should rely on, but if it fixes the problem then you know where to look (heatsinks, fans [video card, CPU, power supply]).

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

IF you do find out that it is in fact overheating buy one of these case fans. They are 4x more powerful than normal 80mm case fans...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999612

But get a fan controller also because apparently it is really loud at full blast. I'll be getting mine in any day now and I'll tell you my findings

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

There is no testing of the PSU....well there is but not really.
    Just go get a new PSU, but ask them if it doesn't solve your problem if you can refund it. Or find someone with a big enough PSU and borrow theirs for a quick test, and if it works then get then buy a new one.

5. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

I just cleaned out the inside of the case and everything was real dusty. I tried again and COD shut down immediately.

Here are two things that came up in the event log before the restart:

Save Dump - The system had to reboot due to a bug check
    Application Pop-up - windows registry recovery

6. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Try other games and see. It may just be COD

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

do you use Norton Internet Security or just the AV software?? I've had issues with those and gaming.

8. seismic

seismic New Member

9. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

Ok so last night my computer completely shit the bed. It cant even get through start-up without restarting, even in safe mode, or any other mode.

Im getting a blue error screen but it doesnt say anything specific.

Anymore ideas for a computer that wont even start. And the restarting happened with other games too.

Thanks

10. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

the only thing i recently installed was firefox

11. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

can you swap out any of the components with others to try and narrow down the culprit?

12. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

no i dont have anything laying around that i could use. Im not sure how involved a power supply swap is, but i might just take the one out of my parents and put it in mine and see what happens.

One ohter thing that was happening before it completely shit was that it kept popping a window that said something about a registry key having to be recvoered and replaced with an alternate, and that it did so successfully. This was usually after it restarted on its own.

But that really depends on what the possibilities are.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like hard drive corruption to me. The registry doesn't just fail unless it's got a good reason to, like the hard drive it's sitting on is going to shit.

14. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

If it is the harddrive, how do you save the files on it when replacing it?

Also, could a shitty PSU cause this, or would it just not turn ot all?

Also, I can still get into BIOS, it just shits out at the "welcome" page, or right before

15. deusexaethera

The same way you save files on any hard drive when you want to replace it. Buy a new drive, install Windows on it (or in your case, you might be able to use MSBackup to create an "ASR" backup that you can copy to the new drive), then start dragging and dropping files from the old drive to the new one.

The BIOS runs from a memory chip soldered onto the motherboard -- nothing that happens to the hard drive (short of combustion) is going to keep the BIOS from workng.

16. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

:cool:

im about to order 4 of these bitches to replace my 4 regular 80mm fans in front of my machine. shit, maybe ill just swap all 7 of my case fans out with these babies.

17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Yes a psu could cause that. And if you have a voltage meter, you can test it.
    Try disconnecting the dvd,cd, floppy, and any extra pci cards that aren't required for the pc to run.
    If the pc boots up, it might be a sign that it's the psu.

18. Pavester

Pavester New Member

does the same for me, only on bf2 and expansions. Just shuts off at random intervals, i could play for an hour or a minute.

19. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Ever run memtest?

20. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

:werd:

my old PC started randomly shutting down in games, as you say

I stress tested EVERYTHING, and eventually narrowed it down to the PSU...a 4 year old enermax 380 started randomly shutting down

threw that out and bought a seasonic and it fixed the issue

I am not saying that's the problem, I am saying narrow it down

based on what I am reading, it's hardware failing, esp if it's happening randomly, start stress testing componants individually and see if anything fails

get the ultimate boot disk ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ), it has some stress tests on it, test everything overnight and see if any test causes anything to show up...if nothing does, I'd suggest getting your hands ona nother power supply to test with...either a friend's, or a place that allows 30 day returns...it's kind of shady, but not really

good luck

21. deusexaethera

I swear there's been a lot of PSU failures in the past few months. I wonder if it's cheap parts, or if the power grid is getting unstable and they're trying to keep it quiet, or if it was just dumb luck, or what.

Personally, I'm putting my money on the extra power draw from new video cards and redundant storage subsystems.

22. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

whats up guys.

Well i had a chance to run to staples and i bought a new power supply. As of now it has solved the problem. I havent started running games, but im tping now so i think its been resolved.

The psu i had before was a powmax or something 400w and ive had it for the past 2-3 years, so i guess it just wore out.

I got an antec 430w for now. I read osme people dont like them, but it was local at staples and i need to have my comp up for school.

Either way i wanted to post this so that if there has been this many issues, people may be bale to search out this thread.

Is there anything io shoudl run to make sure nothing got fucked?

23. RiSk

RiSk New Member

As I am to lazy to read the thread, Im going to take stab and says, 1 of 2 things is going on, Power supply is not providing enought power, or some thing is over heating.

If it always happens at the same point in the game, then its your card or a driver conflict.

24. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I like Antec psu's. I'm using a True Power II on my rig, and it works flawlessly.

As far as any damage goes, you won't have anything to worry about.
    Failing psu's tend to put out less wattage, so nothing should be fried or anything.

25. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

ive got a 500w Antec ive been running non-stop for about a year and a half now..... havent had any issues. seem like good PSU's....