Computer restarting during gaming V. 2

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hennessey1013, Mar 11, 2007.

1. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

Ok so im assuming most read the original thread. Basiclly the comp was retsrting during games, and eventually took a complete shit one night.

Replced the psu, and itstarted ok.

Well, I still cant run COD 2 after the new psu install. I unistalled and tried to run GTR2 (pretty hardware intensive, and the game started and then shut down, no restart, but the game didnt want to run. PLus the it the cpu usage spiked right before it shut the game down

One thing when i first booted after the psu install, check disk ran and looked like it was pretty busy, was deleting and fixing many problems, and then restarted on it own after that.

Also, event viewer shows about 15-20 errors with the source DCOM. All today from 2:58-3:20

Im not sure where to go form here. Basics has been running ok.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Try running prime 95 on it. If that doesn't shut it down, then it may be a video card issue.

3. Doc Brown

Here, try this first:

Start > Right click My Computer > properties > advanced > startup and recovery settings >
    Un-click automatically restart.
    That can prevent sudden restarts/shutdowns.

4. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

If it is only doing it during a game it must be something to do with the video card and drivers. download and install the latest directx and update your video card drivers. Even if you have the latest directx installed do it again because it can sometimes get corrupted.

5. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

ok a little update, got a laptop to use for now.

The PC completely shit again. This time im getting a new window. It says that it cannot execute sevices.exe, you click ok or off of it and all i get is black screen.

It says its related to a shitty umpnpmgr.dll file. i guess this a plugand play file that is sometimes vulnerable to attacks. BUT, i also read that it could also be from a shitty problem with MS updates. meaning you download the updateand you get this problem. I did this recently.

Now, im not real computer saavy so bear with me. If i dl a new versionof this to a floppy, how could i upload it to the pc? Keep inmind windows wont run, this is in any mode,even safe.

Also, it wont even complete chkdsk, and when it runs, there are a shitload of corrupt files showing. So,is my HD shitting out and corrupting some stuff along the way? Maybe just one shittydll?

Thanks guys

6. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

I think the corrupted files are from the sudden shut downs and restarts that you're getting. Those are never healthy for a computer. It most likely is a video card compatibility error. What video card do you have by the way?

You can try running the game on a lower setting removing some of the cell shading and other "nifty" effects that are you used to enhance the visibility of the game to give your computer an easier time at displaying everything. But, I don't know anything about Call of Duty 2 and what it requires to run, so that's the end of my suggestions :/

.. have you updated to SP2 recently? vista?

7. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

no i havent upgraded recently. I think im going to just reformat and try to salvage asmuch as i can before.

The video card is a radeon 9600.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No way a 9600 can handle Call of Duty 2. Pick up a nice Gigabyte 7600GS AGP from Newegg.com. Nice and quiet, and they haul much ass.

9. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

its been running it fine for a couple of months now. Im reformating right now so we will see what happens.

10. deusexaethera

It could be ATI's new AMD-ified drivers aren't playing nice with your game.

11. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

well i completely reformated and after it restarted, went to the windows has found an error and is shutting everything down window. Now,this is after attempts to just install xp again, and reformating twice, the second of which i deleted the entire partition and started a new one. All three failed.

Im guessing it might be time for a new hd.

12. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

My old computer would constantly have errors after many formats and windows installs. It also said something about a boot sector virus.
    I fixed it by plugging the drive into a spare ide slot on my new computer and formatting it. It works like new now.

13. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

you saying you reformated it plugged into a different pc and then re-installed?

14. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

Yea.
    XP has a right click format option for installed drives, so it is really easy. Just a pain to have to swap it in and out. I don't have an open ide plug, so I had to remove a cd drive.

15. deusexaethera

Actually, I just thought of something. (Please don't panic. :eek3:)

Make sure your BIOS doesn't have a boot-sector protector or an OS install mode or something along those lines that could be futzing with the install process. If there is one, turn it off.

16. Doc Brown

This sounds like a hardware malfunction (maybe not the hd) or a driver issue.

What driver did you install for you graphic card?

If you went with a newer one, try finding an older one online.

17. hennessey1013

hennessey1013 New Member

Well ill check the bios when i get home about the install problem. As for the drivers, i had the older ones from ati when it first started to shit out, next i tried the new ones and it didnt make a difference.

I ordered a new hd for 42 bucks on newegg for now. I shold have it by the end of this week. Hopefully everything willl work ok.

If its not the hd, i dont know where to go from there. Maybe the video card, but ill wait until the hd is installed.