computer reboots for no reason

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexican, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Sexican

Sexican New Member

So, I decided to play Diablo 2 for the first time in FOREVER. Installed it, and tried to load it. It gets past the "Blizzard" screen (makes of the game) and makes it past the Title Screen...then my computer reboots itself out of nowhere. Now, the computer ALSO does this for Warcraft 3 which is another Blizzard game. I find it very unlikely that my computer can't run games just made by Blizzard, but it will run other older games just fine. Any quick fix ideas?

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

reformat

3. Capa

Capa New Member

Blue screen then reboot? .....also are you running any Serial drives?

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Update your motherboard chipset and video drivers.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Make sure your computer is setup to halt on a blue screen and not auto-reboot.

6. MrMan

MrMan New Member

I assume you're running WinXP.

Right-click My Computer.
    Click on Properties.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
    Uncheck Automatically Restart.

What will now happen is that, instead of restarting, it will display a blue screen. It may look cryptic, but write it down and post it here. I have a feeling that it's the video card overheating. It seems that once it runs something 3D extensive, it reboots. Could be your video card fan filled with dust, preventing it from spinning properly, causing your video card to overheat, which in effect triggers a Windows interrupt telling it to shut down before your video card gets destroyed. Therefore, if you're comfortable opening the computer, clean the video card fan.

7. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

I know this is a long shot, but I was having the exact same problem. I thought I narrowed it down to my vid card (Leadtek 6600 GT Extreme), but it turns out there was a problem with *directx* - reinstalled that and haven't had a problem since. Heat & power supply not powerful enough are the two most common problems, but if that doesn't help, directx is a 5-minute reinstall that might help.