Computer rebooting itself, could it be a hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dpakman91, Apr 3, 2005.

1. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

I got a new computer about 5 weeks ago. Until a few days ago, i hadn't installed this older 60GB Maxtor hard drive that has all my MP3's on it because i didn't have a spare IDE cable.

Finally, a few days ago i got the cable so i put the hard drive in. Now, on my previous computer (the one the HD was in) i was having the problem that every once in a while, the computer would spontaneously just reboot itself when i was in the middle of something.

It happened today with the new computer. I have no idea what the problem is, but i'm thinking since it didn't happen before i put the hard drive it, in might be related?

Any insight into this would be great

2. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

3. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

intertesting, i dunno if i wanna just go in and start blindly messing with services though..plus, that doens't seem like it's the CAUSE of the problem, as those are default settings, and not everyone has this restart problem.

4. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

also, if you enter your bios, theres an option in there you can disable for system failure, itll restart the machine. mine is on "disabled" and my comp hasnt restarted in a long time, just check that.

5. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

ok, will do

6. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

I had the same problem with one of my drives.

When I added a new IDE drive in my case, the computer would just reboot randomly.
    Turns out that the drivers were "stacked" too close to each other and were overheating.

I got a new case with better cooling. Since then the problem has never returned.,