computer randomly restarts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lowfat, Sep 1, 2004.

1. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

K. My computer restarts once in a while and its making me angry. I know what your thinking, i have it overclocked to high, however the temperature rarely reaches above 50C. Is temperature the only thing that will cause the computer to restart? Specs on computer are as follows:

AMD XP 2600+ barton w/ Thermaltake Volcano 11+ @ 2198 MHz FSB @191 MHz
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    2 X 256 MB Azen pc3200 ram
    Thermaltake 480w PSU

any ideas? its really starting to get on my nerves.

2. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

No I dont think you have it overclocked to high, I think you have a virus :o

do a virus scan, or go to www.symantec.com and do a free one if you don't have any virus software

3. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Also if that doesn't work, back when I added a second 512mb chip to my computer, it use to restart for no reason ( no virus, no overheating, etc). So that second chip that I put in Slot 2, I moved it to a different slot and it fixed the rebooting issue.

Give those resolutions a try......Good Luck!

4. adam17

adam17 now im gonna sing the doom song! doom doom doom do

what kind of power supply do u have and how many drives r u runnin?

5. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

straight up virus in that shit.

6. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

try a different power supply

7. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

Are you running XP? If so, do this... Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced Tab, under the Startup and Recovery deal, click Settings. Uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart". Now, whenever it decides to restart, you MAY get a Blue Screen... If you get this, let us know what it says.

Have you added anything to your PC lately? Like Memory? :dunno:

8. lowfat

the computer is brand new. being running less than a month. The powersupply is a thermaltake purepower butterfly 480 watt. I'm only running one hard drive @ the moment, and i hope its not he PSU as i have many more SCSI drives i am putting in soon.

I've unchecked restart automatically and see if it happens again. I lowered my FSB to 190 yesterday and so far it hasn't restarted yet :dunno:

9. lowfat

Well that was quick. I got a blue screen.
    I got this technical info:

Stop: 0X0000008E (0 X C00005, 0 X EDEF61C3, 0 X F825182C, 0 X 0000000)

tcpip.sys - Adress EDEF61C3 at EDEF3000, datestamp 41107eaf)

wtf does that mean.
    Aslo when playing morrowind it frequenctly exits, as well as ocassional exiting of firefox and winamp.

10. lowfat

k, something is seriously screwed up, i think its time for a reformat and its only being a month, winamp and firefox have both crashed twice in the past 7 minutes :S.

11. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

random restarts = software problem

12. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well could've been a few of the following things:

1. virus as somebody mentioned

2. bad powersupply!!! Just because it's thermaltake, doesn't mean that it won't go bad. In fact I had the same problem with an brand new Enemax powersupply before. In fact I had problem with both Antec/Enermax in the past, maybe I got bad luck, but they could've been bad right outta the box

p.s. I am running one of those 480 Butterfly with multicolor lights. Does yours run hot? cuz mine runs HOT!!! Typical to all Thermaltake PSU actually

3. What kind of ram are you using? Maybe your ram isn't up for the 191Mhz speed?

4. Just becaues a CPU temp is within a reasonable range, it doesn't mean that the problem isn't from the CPU. If you have looked into all the options above, and they have checked out okay, then well look into the CPU. Maybe it needs more VCore, or maybe that the temperture readout is off and it is infact running a bit too hot. The AMD Althon systems will restart when the CPU overheats, unlike P4 which throttles back.

5. Your power source is bad, which is possible actually. I have 5 computers at home, some machine reboots when there's a lighting strike, but usually the faster/newer machine e.g. my P4 will restart, and the rest will be fine. Newer comptuer system in general are much more sensitive to power. Pick up an UPS with power conditioning for this. It's like an insurance. But this will only happen probably once/twice a year at most? So, unlikely to be your problem in this case.

Good luck...

13. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

search microsoft support. they have every error code listed with what it is, and how to fix it

14. FoCaL

FoCaL New Member

The first thing I would do is stop overclocking your system. I dont feel that is the problem but its an easy fix to totally elimate that as a possiblity. If your back to stock speeds and its still has issues my next thoughts are bad drivers. Try updating your or reinstalling your drivers to the most recent if you havent already since you built the computer.

15. Midknightster

Midknightster New Member

OK here is my (multiple) input. You have probably a voltage problem mixed with heat from the OC'ing. Although I think it could also be your RAM being charged improperly. tcpip.sys is apart of your Networking connection software tied in with MicroSux. Is your ethernet port an onboard ethernet port? If so, disable that bitch and put in an ethernet card in the third PCI slot of your motherboard. Reset your BIOS to optimal settings. 50 degrees isn't good for an AMD or an Intel for that matter especially if you have a Volcano on it (check that mofo out and see if its bearings aren't stopping and causing the problem). I am running 39 idle and 43 with a load and I have a 2500+ XP OC'ed to 3200+ XP FSB 200Mhz using 2 Samsung PC3200 (400Mhz) 512 MB DDR sticks (dual channel). Another thing I am thinkin is maybe a BIOS flash to get that board being "Economy" to recognize the OC'ing you are doing. 2600 chips aren't the best to be OC'ed the 2500 or 2800 have a much better voltage handling capability.

16. lowfat

i reformated and all was good until i started replied to this thread. it restarted, i sent the error report to MS, and it says the crash was caused by a device driver. I've tried searching the knowledge support on MS, but found only a few things about the tcpip.sys, and nothing really that had much to do about me.

I'll try using a different ethernet card see if that fixes anything.

17. Nick6

Nick6 New Member

It could also be a trojan.

18. lowfat

i just reformated.

installed all virus software before ethernet drivers

19. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Are you still overclocking? or running at default speed and still crashes?

20. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Actually, no. I was thinking about your power supply. :hsugh: Try exchanging it with a different PSU and see if that works.

21. lowfat

i am just going to try one thing @ a time and see if it still crashes.