Computer randomly reboots itself

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tom Vann, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Tom Vann

Tom Vann OT Supporter

can someone tell me why it might do that? thx

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Right click on my computer > left click on manage >

on the left side, double click event viewer >

Right click application > clear all events >

Right click system > clear all events > close out computer management >

Wait until it restarts again, and then go back into event viewer >

Double click both application and system and look for yellows and reds.

Post them in here.

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

The computer in question is my friends computer and I am troubleshooting it as we speak...

I am running memtest on it to see if it is a memory issue. It has been running for about an hour with no errors so far. Ill give it a couple more hours and if there are still no errors I am going to try to update the BIOS and see if that fixes the problem. Is this the right corse of action? It wouldent give you a BSOD if it was a power supply problem would it?

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

If you look at the screen of Memtest something like this http://www.memtest.org/pics/amd64-big.gif
    See where it says Pass 0. When you're says Pass 1 then you can think about stopping the test.
    There are several test done to make 1 pass.

As for the PSU being the problem; there is no telling with PSUs.
    I just replaced mine because I was having issues starting up. First my GFX card wasn't working and even after sending it to eVGA and getting a new one back it was still the same issue (and I really wish I had thought of the PSU before, this replacement card artifacts when unlocked 16x6 and the other one didn't). When I would burn files to some new Memorex DVD-Rs, the burn would go just fine but the drive couldn't read the files (new PSU and now it can).
    I even had the system restart while running a small-ish game with a different gfx card that doesn't require power directly from the PSU.

Now everything is running perfectly (but for the damn new 6800GS not able to unlock w/o artfacting :wtc: )

Replace the PSU. CompUSA has this CoolerMaster 430W for $25 after $10 rebates, $35 out the door (and that's after a $25 instant rebate)
    http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...e=342257&Pn=eXtreme_Power_RS_430_PMSR_ATX_PSU

5. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

OK ran the memtest for a couple hours and no errors showed up so then I updated the BIOS to the latest version and it is still rebooting. :(

I also did a processor stress test because the CPU was idling at around 48c. the hottest it got to was 52 and it didnt lock up when it ran for about 15 minutes. :dunno:

I guess that rules out everything except for the mobo, HDD, and PSU. I have a spare 350 watt PSU I might try with it and I guess I COULD change out the HDD to see if that is the problem but damn. :wtc:

6. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Oh and the computer specs are...

6600 core 2 duo
    7950GT Nvidia
    ASUS mobo
    1Gig RAM

7. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

OK I set the ram speed from 800mhz to 600mhz and so far it has not rebooted itself. Why would it pass the memtest yet stop rebooting when i drop the speed?

8. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I caught that too.

10. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

No you dumbass I explained the situation. Try to read first before you make accusations.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  11. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Period much?

12. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

OK I think I have it stabilized. I dropped the RAM speed 25% from 800mhz to 600mhz and it stopped rebooting SO FAR. I dont get how this would fix it though because I ran memtest and the memory did not come up with any errors. Thank you all for the help so far and hopefully I will know for sure what is causing the problem tonight.