computer randomly freezing, now cycles on rebooting and wont go into windows

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jay487, May 15, 2008.

1. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

Working on someones computer... it was randomly freezing when it was left idle for 10 minutes or so and the last time it froze it wont boot back into windows. Sometimes gets to the windows XP logo and other times not. Just restarts and does it over again.

I'm testing RAM now... seems to be OK so far (memtest)

Im thinking power supply is shitting the bed? any way to confirm this or any other ideas?

thanks in advance!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

psus are hard to test without an oscilliscope and some way of adding load. Generally swapping parts is the most accepted laymans method for testing.

try a linux livecd, or a bartpe disc that you can run prime95 with to eliminate software as the culprit.

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

can you boot to safe mode?

4. Jay487

no, does the same thing... either takes a long time and doesnt go or restarts

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

at least the mobo is posting. i doubt its the PSU.
    it could be ram,... but I see this problem happen often because of Windows services in conflict with drivers or power schemes. sometimes those bloated screen savers can cause it too.

when memtest is done, i suggest you repair windows then reinstall drivers.
    check event viewer or sysdump.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

BEFORE you start fucking with your windows intall, do as I instructed.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's worth booting up a Linux LiveCD like Jolly said, just so you can really work over the RAM using the Memtest86 program that comes with most types of Linux, but the constant rebooting you describe sounds to me like a fucked Registry. I've seen it happen probably a dozen times like that, where you can't even boot into Safe Mode. If the Linux CD boots up properly and Memtest86 doesn't show any RAM errors, then you can either start swapping parts or you can do a repair install of Windows. (Obviously I think the latter is the more likely solution.)

8. Jay487

Well a repair install isnt an option, as it doesnt show up when booting from CD. I disabled automatic restart on system failure, and get the message "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME"

I booted into recovery console and tried running chkdsk twice and it froze both times.

I'm not too familiar with using fixboot and fixmbr commands, but I tried them both in recovery console (said they completed succesfully) but the problem is still the same.

I are lost :confused:

9. deusexaethera

And I think you are fucked, too.

The only other thing I can think of is to plug the disk into another computer as a secondary disk, and try to give it a drive letter. If it can do that, then you can run chkdsk on it.

10. Jay487

what about a clean format? is the drive itself shot or somehow just the file system got fucked up?

it was working fine the other day, just would randomly freeze and then one time it wouldnt go back into windows :dunno:

11. deusexaethera

Well, drives do wear out over time. They have a certain amount of reserved space used to "replace" bad sectors on the disk platters, and when that fills up, there's no way to deal with any more bad sectors that pop up -- at which point you start seeing weird random data loss.

However, in your case, unless the drive is really old, a clean format should do fine.

12. Jay487

good news!

it was a seagate harddrive, so i went to their website and downloaded a bootable iso of their diagnostic software. It failed what they called a "short test" so I ran a "long test" and it repaired I think 2 "LBA" errors.

Restarted, checkdisc ran at startup, rebooted and wala, no format necessary.

:)