computer random restarting:(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fknfast, May 1, 2005.

1. fknfast

fknfast Coming to a QB near you

Okay here is the deal...

I come home from the GF's house late last night to find my computer continually restarting itself. It has done it before where it randomly would restart itself in the middle of doing something. I initially thought it was an overheating problem. It only did it a couple of times randomly and it would always boot right back up. It hasnt done it for at least a month and a half. Well I get home last night and its rebooting itself and it would prompt me
    to either start it in safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, safe mode w/ dos prompt, start from last known good configuration, or start windows normally. I tried every one of them only for it to restart itself again. It will get to the windows xp screen where it looks like its loading windows with the small blue bar moving underneath the xp logo and right after that the screen goes black and it restarts itself. I have no idea whats going on. I can get into bios but everything seems fine and it looks like some sort of windows error. Any information/help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. p0seidon

p0seidon New Member

A) Overheating CPU?
    B) RAM having issues? try using only one stick, or move the stick to another dimm slot
    C) Power Supply flakey?
    D) Reinstall Windows

3. ThreeUp3Down

ThreeUp3Down New Member

This is the worst problem ever but the problem is it could be so many things you just have to pick a place to start from and try them all until it stops. Search the hardwareanalysis.com forums for a really long thread as they try to walk people through what the issues could be.

4. NeonImpact

NeonImpact New Member

I'd try these first.

If still, buy something else.

5. fknfast

thanks for all the info guys

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Your RAM is fried, trust me i posted this exact same problem on 5 different forums, after trying EVERYTHING i sent my RAM back to Mushkin to get it tested, and it was fried. Most RAM has lifetime garauntee, send it back to the company for replacement.

7. fknfast

cool thanks for the info jeff, I am at work for the next half hour then im heading to work on it, ill post up my conclusion

8. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Check for dust stopping any fans from spinning properly for video card, cpu,... and clean them if needed.

9. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

I just had this problem with my server and I reinstalled windows and its still restarting. I think I have it narrowed down to the MOBO but your's could be different.

10. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

yeah i had this happen when my cpu fan would stop due to a flaky wire