Computer + Random Black Screens!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tenny, May 24, 2007.

1. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

Ok, so for the past several months I've been having a problem where I'll be on the web, then all of a sudden the computer would lock up for about 1 second, the screen would flash black, then it'd work fine agian. This would start out every 5-10 min (takes maybe an hour for the first one) then continue faster and faster to the point where it'd do it every couple seconds.

At first I didn't mind this, as the computer is designed to play games and not surf the web.

As of last night though, it started doing i while in the game I play which means now I have to fix it. So I went to the bio's to check out the configuration, and it did it there too! So that eliminates that it is a Windows problem imo, and it's hardware.

So my computer is OverClocked, but I've ran burn in tests, and memtest86 for at least 3 hours, and never had problems, so it leaves me to think it might be my video card? I have no other one to test that theory out though, as it's PCIe, and this is my first PCIe computer.

System Info:
    AMD Opteron 165 (939) oc'd to 2610mhz
    1GB Ram (1x1gb) running at 200.4mhz (Corsair XMS LLC) (one stick went bad a while ago)
    300GB Barracuda SATAII 7200.10
    EVGA 7900GT 256MB (Not O/C'd)
    Creative Audigy 4 Pro
    Lian-Li PCV1000 Case (Very good for cooling)
    Lots of fans

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

The fact that you had a stick of memory fail makes me wonder if you are pushing the memory voltage. How recently did you run the memtest86?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It certainly sounds like a video card problem. Faulty RAM would more likely cause bluescreens than blackscreens. Since you've got a PCI Express video card, it could also be an issue with your power supply's ability to run all the hardware you have.

4. Doc Brown

That plus I wonder if he has the 6-pin plug installed in the video card...

5. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

I have a Antec Neo HE 550. Yes I do have the 6-Pin power plugged into the video card.

The memory isn't overclocked, and the CPU voltage is the same as it comes standard.

edit: oh yeah Memtest is running right now, it's at 1 hour 34 min atm. Last time I ran it before this was about a year ago. I ran it last night for about 3 hours, but I plan on running it today for a bit more time.

6. Doc Brown

You don't need to run it for more than 3 hours.

Try this:

Right click on my computer > left click on manage >

on the left side, double click event viewer >

Right click application > clear all events >

Right click system > clear all events > close out computer management >

Wait a while, or until the next black screen happens, then go back into event viewer >

Double click both application and system and look for yellows and reds.

7. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

Alright I just did this, but it wasn't showing the new 'empty size', was still showing the old numbers, so I just closed the window and went back and opened it, and it did the black window thing, and nothing is there.

8. Doc Brown

When you go back in after clearing everything, you want to double click on
    Application in the left panel, and also System.
    If nothing shows up in the right panel, it's because no errors have been logged prior to you checking.

If you get the list in the right side, then double click Application and System to see the error log.

9. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

Yeah, it's still saying there is nothing there, and it's happening every few minute now, yet no errors.

Yet I am also in the game now, and in the game it's working fine w/o the black lock up... at least for now.

10. Doc Brown

Ok, then for sure it's not a software issue.

Now I'm leaning towards your eVga card. If it winds up being bad, at least
    you'll get a new one from them.

11. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

I'm going to hope that the card will hold on for another week or so, I had a friend last night put an order in for an 8800 ultra refrence board... not sure if that'll actully work out or not but if it does, I'll RMA it then.

12. Doc Brown

One other thing you could try, is to unplug the peripherals.

Take the side of the case off and uplug the dvd drive, the creative card,
    and even a fan or two for the time being.
    Then see if it still happens. The reason being, that if the power supply isn't quite cutting it lately, it could be underpowering the video card and making it do that.

Plus if it still black screens after that, you can at least tell eVga that you tried that as well.

13. Tenny

Tenny OT Supporter

Well i just took the audio card out and a fan (to get to the audio card I needed to take the fan out) but i forgot to unplug the dvd drive, but it's still giving me the issues. I watched the voltages in the bios for a bit and they seemed very stable there.

In other news I found my original receipt for the EVGA so I can RMA it later when I need to. Still I'd like to swap in another PCIe but the only one I know of is in my gf's comp but I don't want to go to her house to get it... lol

Edit: Maybe I'll go buy something from frys for cheap and 'test' it out then return it when I get my evga back... HMMM

14. Doc Brown

Or just get the absolute cheapest pci express card you can and keep it for the next time something like this happens.