Computer problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by spazyomatex, Nov 30, 2007.

1. spazyomatex

spazyomatex What is your major malfunction numb nuts?!

Attn: All Creative X-Fi users

I have identified and solved the problem. The problem was with my Creative Soundblaster X-Fi soundcard. The issue was overall system instability with inevitable system crash in ~1.5 days of system uptime. The culprit was Creative's DLLML.exe process. Solution is posted in post #11 of this thread.

I'll start by listing my hardware (if I leave something out, I'll add it later):
    CPU: Core 2 Duo 6420 (stock 2.13ghz, overclocked at 2.85ghz). Front Side Bus speed = 1424mhz (from overclock. 1066 stock).
    Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3R. Bios updated.
    Memory: 4GB Corsair TWIN2x2048-8500C5 (4x1GB sticks)
    GPU: GeForce 8800GTS EVGA KO ACS3 edition (320MB version). Drivers updated.
    Soundcard: Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music. Drivers updated.
    Power Supply: OCZ GameXtreme 700W
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST3320620AS 320GB 7200rpm SATA 3GB/s.
    OS: Windows XP Professional (I have been using service pack 2 until a few days ago when I upgraded to service pack 3, but noticed little improvement).

Problems are as follows (I am including what I can think of at the moment, I'll add more as I remember them):
    Basically I suffer from overall system instability. This happens whether my processor is overclocked or not, so I've ruled that out (plus I've tested it for a day with prime95 and stressprime no errors and it's not running hot). I have also used memtest86+ to test the memory and it all passes as well.

Here's a list of symptoms:
    • Cannot open any Microsoft Office programs (word, excel, etc) without it either taking ~5 minutes to load or it hanging/crashing the folder containing the item I attempted to launch. If I wish to open such a document, I must first bootup word, etc, and then use file/open to open the document.
    • Eventually, after the computer has been left on for between 12-20+ hours I usually start to notice system instability. If I am browsing the Internet, the browser will suddenly stop working or crash. If I have multiple folders open simultaneously then I may suddenly lose the ability to right click or do other basic functions. This problem continues until I close at least 1 of the folders, then the computer returns to normal. Same if I have folders + web browser open: if I close either a folder or the browser, computer functionality returns to normal.
    • Sometimes I suffer from instability with certain games if my computer has been on for hours before I load the game. Battlefield 2, for example, will experience the same problems as Microsoft Office in that it will either take 2-7 minutes for the game to bootup, or it just won't bootup at all. Yet the BF2.exe is in the task manager just hanging, but still responding. The only way to get BF2 to boot is to reboot the computer, then it works fine. Or if I'm in Company of Heros, it will randomly crash the game. Or, if it does let me bootup BF2 without having to reboot I may get a BSOD (same with CoH).
    • Random, but seldom, BSOD. I'm not sure what the error is, but once in a while if my computer has been left on too long and I have been experiencing system instability and do not reboot my computer, I have gotten a BSOD (usually with instant forced reboot).
    • So long as I continually reboot my computer (~ once a day) it runs fine, which raises certain questions.
    • Symptoms right before BSOD: Some internet applications stop working (Trillian (aim, msn), web browser). At some point I hear several system error beeps, but nothing happens. Then symptoms above may occur or the blue screen will just randomly come.
    So far I have noticed that a majority of problems seem to stem from the soundblaster X-Fi software. The DLLML.exe file appears to be unstable and seems to be linked to problems with instability running games like BF2. Also, I am curious if there may be a conflict between my videocard and soundcard, but I have noticed nothing in the event viewer or device manager. Also, no error logs are created prior to BSOD crashes.

It is possible my Windows XP install CD is corrupted and has given me a shitty install as the CD is > 4 years old and scratched. I have no way of checking the integrity of the files on the CD. Service pack 2 (and 3) I have downloaded and installed from M$.

I also would like to test my hard drive for consistency, but do not know of any diagnostic software, so if anyone recommends any, please post it.

If anyone thinks they may be able to identify certain problems/issues please post them. If you need additional information, I will be happy to provide it. Thank all of you for your assistance and contributions.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I'm not going to be much help but...

I would hope that if the MS CD has sectors that it cannot read it would prompt you with an "Unreadable Disk" type error and not just skip over them.

You can download Seagate's SeaTools for free and it works on pretty much all brands of hard drives.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You want to make a note of what the bsod's are.

Go into control panel > system properties > advanced tab > startup and recovery (settings button) > uncheck automatically restart.

Next time you get a bsod, it should hang on it instead of rebooting, so you'll have time to write down what it says.

4. spazyomatex

Done and will do. I'll post the error when next time I get one.

5. Doc Brown

Also when you get a bsod, your machine creates a memory dump.

It takes a couple of programs to read the dump, but if you're interested I can
    link them for you. I've got a good walkthrough that I can post for you too, if you're interested.

The one download is a couple hundred mb, though.

Let me know.

6. spazyomatex

Yeah, I would like those links please. I won't have time to actually read the walkthrough or diagnose anything until after I finish this semester, but I would surely like to decipher those memory dumps after I'm finished classes to see if they tell me what type of failure I am having. Besides, I'm into computers and work with them all day so it would be a good skill to learn. I appreciate any assistance you offer.

Also, should I increase the memory dump size to get more information? Right now it's on the smallest.

7. Doc Brown

You don't need to increase the size, and it only takes a couple of minutes to run the debugging tool once you have the progs installed.

You need a symbol package because the minidump is in hexadecimal.
    Windows Symbol package (this is the one that's a couple hundred mb)
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/symbolpkg.mspx

Debugging tool:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx#ERB

8. spazyomatex

:bigthumb: Thank you, sir.

Why the fuck am I still awake? :ugh:

9. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

beefy

10. spazyomatex

BSOD error:

Technical Info
    Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xB4735BF2, 0xBAAD7B50, 0x00000000)

emupia2k.sys-Address B4735BF2 base at B4727000, Datestamp 457e8632

Have fun with that one :bigthumb:

Looks like I was correct and it is a resultant error from my Creative SB X-Fi soundcard. Recommended fixes?

11. spazyomatex

I found the solution to the problem. It's amazing how simple it was. I confirmed my suspicions about Creative's DLLML.exe being the unstable cunt that was whoring up my system when I looked up the emupia2k.sys stop error.

Solution:
    1) Go into msconfig (start/ run type "msconfig"). Select startup tab. Prevent DLLML.exe from starting at bootup (uncheck it).
    2) Go into the Window's registry (start / run type "regedit"). Navigate path:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Run
    Select AudioDrvEmulator and delete the registry key.
    3) Reboot Windows.

Problem solved.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007