Computer Problems - Possibly virus related

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stuff, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Stuff

Stuff New Member

Basically any time I restart I have to clear CMOS before it will boot all the way through. If I don't clear CMOS it boots to the Mobo logo screen and won't move past. I have already put a new mobo battery in and it still does the same.

Now here's the interesting part: When I finally boot into windows I don't get a taskbar or any kind of icons on the desktop, just the desktop image on the screen. From there I get random pop-ups (internet ads/websites) but I'm unable to do anything with the computer. If I try to ctrl/alt/delete it tells me taskmgr.exe has been deleted so that's a no go. I also get an error message upon loading into windows that rundll is missing as well. This all started more than a couple of months ago (coincided with my purchase of a macbook which is part of the reason I haven't bothered with it much lately) when I got a bubble notification from the windows security icon in the systray that there was a virus or something found. I clicked it not thinking and before I knew it I'm pretty sure I loaded my computer with some spy/malware (as soon as it happened I knew I screwed up and immediately kicked myself for being so foolish).

I tried a number of things to remove it to no avail when it initially happened and eventually got so fed up I gave up which isn't like me at all. Its been eating at me that I have a great machine (barring the software issues) that is just sitting under my desk collecting dust. If I hook it up to my network I'm able to read the shared files so I can recover most of the data but i'm wondering how I'll be able to reformat or if any of you guys have any tips on clearing up either issue (needing to clear CMOS after every restart/reboot or the virus issue).

I'd love to just format the hard drive and start fresh but because I can't seem to do any kind of booting without having to clear CMOS this will be a difficult task (have to restart at least twice to reformat). It should also be noted that if I load into the BIOS settings and make corrections/save them, when the computer restarts I have to clear CMOS again effectively making the changes I do null.

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has anywhere I could start I'd apprecaite it. I don't remember all of the parts in the machine off the top of my head and I'm at work so if you need hardware specific details let me know and I'll post them when I get home in a few hours.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. Stuff

Stuff New Member

Haha, yea I know. I use the jumpers on the mobo (I promise I'm not a complete computer noob even though the virus/malware probably makes me look like it).

ctrl alt delete doesn't do anything other than bring up the error box that it's deleted. and i'm the only account on the machine so there won't be any kind of login screen first unfortunately (account wasn't pword protected). Really and truly I just want to get the damn thing to a point where i can format the disk. As it stands I can do almost nothing once inside windows other than close the pop ups click OK on the error messages.