Computer problems, my two raid devices seem to be conflicting.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shazbot, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Shazbot

Shazbot OT Supporter

My computer setup:

P4 2.4GHz
    ATI Radeon Pro 9800 128mb
    16x Sony DVD-rom
    8x plextor DVD-r/rw
    42x plextor cd-r

40GB hd - main hd
    17GB hd - scsi hd, connected via Adaptec SCSI card
    45GB hd
    80GB hd

The last two are setup via an onboard RAID controller called mbfasttrak or something to that effect.

I believe my power supply is 430 watts.

I don't turn my computer off very often and reboot as little as possible. In recent months, my computer has been experiencing problems with my backup drives. Before I swapped SCSI cards, I couldn't boot all four drives together when all my USB devices were plugged in (mouse, scanner, printer, extigy), so I had to unplug my USB devices and boot, and everything would be fine. But I got tired of that, so I decided to get a new SCSI card, hoping it would fix the problem. Well, it didn't. Now, I can't get them to boot together at all, it's either the SCSI drive or the other two. Also, after my computer is up for a while, the SCSI drive stops responding, like it opens up, but if I want to open any folders on it, it won't work, it'll say "This drive is inaccessible" or something, and I have to turn my PC off for several hours to get it to work again. Two things show up on boot, this thing called Adaptec SCSI Drive select (or something similar) and MBFasttrak lite 1.3 (or something similar). But after I swapped cards, all that comes up is the SCSI one, the other one doesn't show up at all, even if I disconnect my USB devices.

Any help would be very appreciated, I'm sorry if I left anything out, and I sincerely hope I posted this in the right forum.

2. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Try disabling on-board devices that you don't use, such as on-board modems, extra USB controllers, etc. Sometimes a bios won't have enough resources to allocate for various devices - rare, but it's fixed several issues when it comes to drive controllers.

Also, which order are they attempting to boot up in? SCSI first then MB, or vice versa? You might try reversing the order to see if that solves things.

3. Shazbot

Shazbot OT Supporter

Yes, it's SCSI first then MB. I will try reordering them, thanks for the help, I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to respond.

4. Shazbot

Shazbot OT Supporter

I reordered them, and now my SCSI thing doesn't show up on boot, much like my onboard wouldn't before when it was last.

Please, any help from anyone would help.