Computer problems - Is it the RAM going bad? HELP!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by itsdennislol, Aug 18, 2006.

1. itsdennislol

itsdennislol New Member

First off the specs:
    AMD 2600+ 1.92GH
    1 GIG of RAM (2 - 512 sticks)
    80 & 40 GIG hard drives

For the last few weeks I've suddenly been having problems with my computer acting up. I could be using PRO TOOLS LE, or on the net, or just listening to music and I still tend to get the problem with whatever I'm doing so I haven't been able to pin point it being any kind of software problem.

What's the problem? Well... my computer monitor will suddenly flash black and then say: "powering off in 5 seconds" or whatever that little screen is right before the monitor shuts itself off. My computer doesn't shut down, it just simply acts like it goes into a hibernation mode or something where I then have to force shut down because nothing I do will get it to display what I was working on again before the problem occurs. I was having a small problem too where the computer would randomly restart itself and read all about how it could be the mblaster virus, how it could be my ram going bad, or possibly the video card could have been the problem. I've also read it could be because the Power Supply is not sending enough power to my RAM which is then causing my computer to over heat, or simply shut itself down?

Since having these problems I've reformatted my computer back to factory, reinstalled all the drivers for the computer, and I don't have the computer restarting itself anymore, but I do still get the problem where the screen flashes black and then I cannot do anything but force shutdown. It happens EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to record a session on PRO TOOLS, and it seems to do it more with big programs which is why I'm semi lead to believe and hope it's just simply the RAM going bad? Sometimes I can go all day without it doing this (unless I'm using PRO TOOLS) Even when I'm listening to audio with windows media, or win amp I get problems there too.. where the audio will suddenly stop playing for 10-20 seconds and then suddenly start playing again.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated... this pos is driving me crazy :o

2. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

try a different video card, what video card do you have now?

3. itsdennislol

itsdennislol New Member

Radeon 9600 Series... ATI
    shits drivin me crazy... it's been workin fine for so long then out of the blue pro tools started lockin up on me getting "the system has held of interrupts for too long" and it makes the screen flash over black and then come back with an error. Now it doesn't even do that anymore it just goes into what seems like a hibernation state in the middle of recording a session on pro tools 7.0

BLAH! if I weren't on limited funds I'd have it fixed by now but I'm just trying to maybe pinpoint exactly what it is before going and paying money :p

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Is/was your OS fully patched prior to install of Pro Tools??

Is/was your anti-virus software disabled when you installed Pro Tools??

IMO it's more then likely your videocard that is going down not RAM. Almost all video cards have fans on them...those fans can fail and cause all sorts of problems. Don't turn off the power, just open the case and look to see if the video card fan is still turning....if not...that's your problem. If it is, be sure to update your video card drivers and MB drivers and try again.

If you are still having trouble, I'd suggest trying a different video card and see if that clears up your problem.

5. Coottie

If you spend any amount of time inside your computer, you may have had a static discharge that fried something. This can happen even if you don't feel, hear or see a pop.

You might also have your monitor and video settings screwed up. (i.e. CRT monitor configured for vertical and horizontal refresh rates are not compatible with your hardware).

6. itsdennislol

itsdennislol New Member

I also have had problems with Windows media, and winamp, and any other program that plays audio with suddenly skipping seconds worth of audio at a time and then suddenly coming back on... could this also be from the same thing? The Video Card? At times it seems like it might be the Power Supply as well because I was having problems for a bit where the computer would restart itself for NO REASON... :( I'll go head and check to see if the fan on the VC is working brb :noes:

7. itsdennislol

itsdennislol New Member

how can I verify this?

8. Coottie

A) Google your monitor model number and find the specs.
    B) R-clk your desktop select properties, then go to the settings tab, click the advance button, then click the monitor tab.
    C) Compare values.

9. itsdennislol

itsdennislol New Member

With all the symptoms I have and with what I've been reading I'm now 99.9% positive it's my power supply going bad. With that said, any opinions on which make/model POWER SUPPLY I should go with between 90-150 bucks? I use PRO TOOLS LE, REASON 3.0 and other programs that really need a strong power supply so I don't want to mess with a POS so please only suggest top of the line gear. Atleast 500-550watts continous.

I was thinking about this one:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=332377&Pn=SP_500_SmartPower_500_Watt_ATX12V_v2_0_PSU_Power_Supply

10. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

11. itsdennislol

itsdennislol New Member

I'm running the AUDIO CARD that's onboard as well as the AUDIO CARD that is built into the MBOX that comes with PRO TOOLS LE for recording. Could that be my issue? Last time the computer locked up I decided to send the error report to microsoft (yip-eee) and it said that the "stop error" was from a device problem of some sort and my buddy suggested disabling the onboard AC97 Real Tek audio in bios and see if I stop getting the errors... haven't tried yet, but I plan to right now... hmmm

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Very likely. My father also uses Pro Tools LE, and it came with very specific instructions to only use the Digi 002 control surface he has -- no other sound cards whatsoever.

Most media players will detect your MBox as a sound card (when it's turned-on, anyway) and will play through that. Just patch your monitors through your MBox full-time to play back whatever depravity you're watching in between recording sessions.