Computer problems during assembly

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by illuminum, Jul 4, 2004.

1. illuminum

illuminum New Member

Hey everyone. I just bought a bunch of parts for a new system. It's almost identical to a system I bought a few months back so I thought it would be a breeeze. For some reason nothing is working.

I wired everything properly and when I turn on the computer nothing showed up on the screen. I check my wiring again and nothing wrong with it. So I take my other identical system and swap HD's. I put the used HD in the new system and still nothing. Then I put the new HD in the already working system and it sais something like "NDTFS (I can't remember the exact acronym) missing..."

I decided to take the battery out of the motherboard and let it sit there to see if it would do anything. Then I put the batter back in and now everytime I flip the switch from behind the computer, everything starts up. I can't control the power from the front of the case anymore!

Do I have a faulty motherboard or something? I've never been so confused and irritated when putting a computer together.

Can anyone give me some advice as to what I should do? So far I haven't been able to get anything up on the screen.

The parts I bought were:
    Antec case w/ power supple
    Intel 875P motherboard
    3.0 gHz intel P4
    120 gb SATA HD
    Radeon 9600 XT
    Creative Labs Sound Card
    Sond DVD/CDR combo drive
    floppy drive
    1 gig of RAM

2. ACA

ACA Sometimes I feel lonely at night OT Supporter

Try testing components from the non-working computer in the one that works. Then you can narrow it down to the faulty components that are giving you trouble.

If all the parts from the non-working computer work when tested in the one that works, then you know somthing is wrong in the non-working computer's motherboard.

In which case, it could either be a factory defective motherboard. Or somthing that was incorrectly connected/instaleld.

You might want to check to make sure that none of the metal mounting stand-off's are touching the wrong areas of the board. I've seen it happen before. People were careless when installing the board and accidentally installed too many of the metal stand-offs. So when they mounted the board in, the stand-off made contact with and shorted out the motherboard.

You could also check to make sure your heatsink is proporly fitted to the CPU. Most computers will refuse to boot or not boot at all if the temps get too high from the heatsink not being in place.

One question I have. When you push the power button on the non-working computer, does it at least power up? Like, can you hear fans spinning or the harddrive powering up? Or does nothing happen at all?

3. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

I had this problem when I first started building..... But then I was a dumbass and built the computer on carpet, and I went through like 5 mobo's.... Finally I realized static electricity owned me :hs:

I would first pry replace the mobo if anything

4. illuminum

illuminum New Member

ACA - I don't even need to push the power button in the front of the computer. Once I flip the switch on the back of the computer, the CPU fan, case fan and UPS fan all start running.

i built on carpet but I grounded myself to make sure there was no static.

5. ACA

ACA Sometimes I feel lonely at night OT Supporter

Then it's quite possible that your board is fucked. Just to be sure, take the board out and just quickly throw the components together outside of the case. See if it boots up like that. If the board was not mounted correctly, it could be shorting out and that might cause it to go on whenever you flip the PSU switch.

Could also be a faulty PSU.

6. tau

tau Guest

Do what ACA said, but be sure you set it up on a wooden desk of some kind and not a metal desk. I had a similar problem, and I found out it was a rogue screw grounding out (though I have no clue why, as the mounting risers were brass as per the norm).

Does your computer give any POST errors (seemingly "random" beeps at startup that signify something's wrong)?

7. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Grounding yourself will prevent static from jumping from yourself to the computer but putting the motherboard on the carpet can cause it blow.

Also - don't put any components on the silver anti-static bags that they come in...they are heavily charged on the outside with static and it doesn't take much...