Computer Problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wytefyre, May 19, 2007.

1. wytefyre

wytefyre New Member

I think I may have a virus, or something just got majorly messed up in Windows XP SP2. I'm currently running Active Virus Shield and I'm working on getting Symantec's online virus scan running, at the moment.

I have this weird problem where I can't use Firefox or IE to connect to the internet, nor can Thunderbird connect, but uTorrent will work fine as well as AIM and online games. When I look under Add/Remove Programs, I see the following screen:

[​IMG]

I cannot uninstall anything through Add/Remove Programs. I tried rebooting in Safe Mode, and I got the exact same screen.

Am I just better off backing up stuff and reformatting, rather than trying to fix this? Thanks for the help!

2. Create

Create :free at last:

Are you logged onto the computer on an administrator account?

Are you surfing pron on an administrator account? There's definitely something wrong with whatever your anti-virus setup was. Panda + Spybot is a very basic, yet reletively sound solution for a beginner.

Do not use symantec products, even as an interim solution. Use housecall.trendmicro.com

If it were me, I'd format reinstall. Two reasons for that: All my shit is backed up, always & This problem is going to take ages to diagnose/clear up - unless someone recognizes something from a similar issue.

3. wytefyre

wytefyre New Member

My account isn't an admin account.

I was afraid that I might have to reformat... Ah well. Thankfully I have an external drive that I can dump all this stuff onto. Maybe I should use this as a chance to mess around with that copy of Windows Vista Business I have...

Thanks!

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Specific details about what is wrong with Symantec products?