Computer problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VenusGirlTrap, Jun 23, 2004.

1. I've posted my comp. problems before and you guys have nevert let me down and now I have another problem. I moved and I have to use dial-up so I use my parents AOL account. Everytime I use it my system resources drop to about 23% and everything gets so slow. Also, normally my system resources are only at 60% which is still pretty low. It seems like I'm running the same amount of processes (about 13) and I scan with norton often so I shouldn't have a virus. Also, I've tried defragging and it just gets stuck at 0% for hours. Any suggestions??

I'm running Windows ME, 256MB Ra, (ancient, I know, but I'm too cheap to buy a new one just to type papers and surf the internet)
    Thanks in advance guys!

2. irichie

irichie New Member

get more ram .. aol is using up too many resources .. or try using a older version of aol

www.oldversion.com

3. Hmm... I had an old version before. I had 5.0. But even when I'm not running AOL it still slows down. Would it help if I just deleted both of my versions of AOL? I can just use the internet on my parents laptop.

4. Oh.... I should clarify. Even when I'm not using AOL it's only at 60%. My sister has a P4, XP Dell with 256MB RAM and her's doesn't run really slow when she uses AOL.

5. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Is it still running in the background when you're not online? (Little AOL icon in your taskbar) If it is it's still sucking up your juice. So yeah uninstall both of them, but make sure you save any important info like emails, and then just install an older version. AOL is the devil but AOL 9 is him concentrate.

6. No, it's not running in the background. I made sure of that. I had the same problem when I had only 5.0 installed. Also, why won't my defrag run. I tried it for like 5 hours and it would just go to 2% and then back to 0%.

7. cm268

cm268 Guest

Try to uninstall AOL and reinstall. Have a clean copy install on you computer. When defrag, turn/close everything that is running, even screen saver. If this does not solve the problem with defrag, it is likely corrupted files. ME and 98 is known to defrag hours and not get anywhere. My solution, backup all files and reinstall OS.

8. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Disable your Virus Scanner before defragging

9. Aphot

Aphot Guest

Should also scan for spyware. spybot and adaware do the trick for me :big grin:

10. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Usually if your defrag restarts it's because a program is accessing the disk and that makes defrag restart. Like Zourn said disable your antivirus and you should be ok. If it still is restarting, boot up into safe mode and do it. TO get into Safe mode just hit F8 before your windows logo comes on and it'll give you to option to do so. Might take you a couple tries to get in there cause you have to time it right.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  11. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Time it right?
    Just hit the power switch and start tapping the shit out of the F8 key till you get there (ignore the beeps).

12. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Some Bios take constantly tapping a key as a keyboard error and wont go through the rest of the start up if you do.

Sorry I spelled your name wrong the other time. :) Fixed it

13. I'm going to try those suggestions and then report back. Thanks guys!

14. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

start > run > msconfig

click the startup tab and disable any unnecessary services. that can free up a lot of resources.

15. I already disabled most start-up items.

So I booted into safe mode and started defrag. Then it said I needed to run scan dick and I did. It fixed 1 file and then kept restarting and saying I needed to disable something running or it would keep restarting. Finally I quit scandisk and ran defrag and it did work. But I'm wondering why scandisk would work, shouldn't it work in safemode?

16. Ok, well it's still acting all funny, so I might reformat. What's the best way to back up my data? It won't be too much, my dig cam software and photos and that's about it.